Opinion poll: "What should I buy"

Achtung:

• save up for: Porsche 928 ($10,000)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • save up for: Porsche 911 ($16,000)

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • save up for: Lotus Esprit($20,000)

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Buy now: 1983 Supra ($500 + $1200 work and paint with massive rust)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Buy now: 1981 caged Scirocco ($3500)

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Buy now: 1987 Civic Si (I imagine $2000 when is all said and done)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy now: 88-91 CRX Hf ($1000 with about $1000 when done)

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Buy now: 1989 RX7 Turbo II ($3500 or so)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Buy now: 2000ish Honda Insight ($8000 or so, financed)

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Celerity

Just throwing this out there:

I'm looking at my 100 day plan this year. I got the new house and some money left over / on the way.

I have my Vega now which is still under the knife, looks like I'll be doing the body work myself so it's gonna be on my plate for several more months than expected. The project cost has been reduced with the introduction of ready-made Vega bits that I know will work. Wheels are the highest cost of the project.

After that is gonna be the Dune Buggy, and then the hotrod. Interchangeably. When I'm done with the Vega it will be either the daily or for sale. Either way I need a car for the here and now, and my time with the Yaris is about to end. (I need another cheap car to get back and forth to work with)

I'll post up some pics, for now check out the Scirocco that I found:
154-H6Y3.jpg

Also, the Supra has 60k miles on it, the CRX HF / Insight is going to be a gas miser project (65+ mpg) and buying any of the $3000 or more cars means putting off Porsche / Lotus aspirations for another year or more.

why did you pick all late 80's (minus the insight)?

my vote is for the crx. here's why.

1)quickest resale
2)lots of parts available for really cheap
3)decent looking for a dd
4)its' the cheapest

if you are only keeping it for less than 6 months, get something that you can resell quickly and wont cost you much. don't get into a loan or anything that will complicate things.

just buy my CRX for $4000...done.;)

I have a mint CRX and it's better than yours :)

The car doesn't necessarily have to be a "6 month" car. I would be happy with the Supra till the end of time. You people know how I am with that generation of SupraDupra.

The CRX will get as much CF as I can possibly find, and the it will remain roller-rocker SOHC from there out.

I found some CF wheels on JYA.... prolly around $4000 to get them here... ;)

If the ultimate price of the car can stay below $14,000 then I win. I might be able to get 100+ mpg

I wanna cryo the motor, put all my lightweight D series rotating assembly on it, a Greg-amount of Carbon Fiber and when I'm all done, paint it :)

another option...get a datsun 240Z....and use all my extra parts...

what are buds for....;)

RX-7 all the way. :thumbsup:

The potential of the rotary engine is uncomparable. But I wouldn't buy one if you're not very familiar with one. And even though they're not very reliable, they're a BLAST to drive.

RX-7 all the way. :thumbsup:

The potential of the rotary engine is uncomparable. But I wouldn't buy one if you're not very familiar with one. And even though they're not very reliable, they're a BLAST to drive.

I'm actually very good with rotaries. I also believe that Rotaries are dead reliable. I mean come on, it's only like 4 moving parts.

What goes wrong mostly is chemical, not mechanical.

An ok 911, I would have done it a bit better. But HKS has "fuck you" amounts of money.

I'm not sure I would drive that car with that kind of power. The 911 is a very firm and planted car, but when the ass end DOES get away from you, it bites like a doberman.

buy my mirage, as it sits for 5K :)

i swear, you wont have to do ANY maintenance on it for atleast a year (besides fluid changes)

or use the money you are getting back and finish up the crx! fun quick little car with great gas mileage and you already have it.

or use the money you are getting back and finish up the crx! fun quick little car with great gas mileage and you already have it.

The CRX has been finished about 5 times over already. remember I've owned that car for a long time.

And it would be finished if I Wasn't searching the free world for the right Supertrapp. It's open tip now with a square tip from a Pontiac. It opens up like the gates of hell at 4000 rpm.

Back