Opinion poll: "What should I buy"

Achtung:

• save up for: Porsche 928 ($10,000)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • save up for: Porsche 911 ($16,000)

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • save up for: Lotus Esprit($20,000)

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Buy now: 1983 Supra ($500 + $1200 work and paint with massive rust)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Buy now: 1981 caged Scirocco ($3500)

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Buy now: 1987 Civic Si (I imagine $2000 when is all said and done)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy now: 88-91 CRX Hf ($1000 with about $1000 when done)

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Buy now: 1989 RX7 Turbo II ($3500 or so)

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Buy now: 2000ish Honda Insight ($8000 or so, financed)

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sell off all of your various cars/trucks/projects/rim pile.

Buy or keep a CRX HF. Daily it.

Buy a really real collector car. Porsche or Lotus is fine. Screw VW/toyota/honda. Espirit = awesome. 911 = awesome. and they both will either hold their value or go up. Valuable in your eyes (read 198X Supra) isnt valueable in anyone else's.

You know what? Buy a Delorean. That has that look that you are after, and is actually worth something.

No this one. My dad can't insure it until my step sisters are off of his policy. He has a limit of 4 cars. So the CRX is idle in the driveway.

I think I'll take it back for a bit and work with it. Maybe sink the earmarked $3000 into something.. special.

Time to throw money at Airjockie.

Deloreans suck. Lotus's lose their value faster than a Japanese sport bike, and the 911 at 16k has a salvage title which is good for me now, bad for me later.

I own a Cosworth Vega - that's my "real" collector car.

The Vega was my entry into the collector car market. I was going to sell the Vega and use it's equity to get something else slightly better, then upgrade year after year until I Get a Ferrari 355 Berlinetta.

The Vega was my entry into the collector car market. I was going to sell the Vega and use it's equity to get something else slightly better, then upgrade year after year until I Get a Ferrari 355 Berlinetta.

Hi, my name is Reality, I just wanted to welcome you back to me.

The answer to your life questions should always be to abstain.

Yeah, that's the end result. I am getting the CRX back on the road, paying off the Vega and financing the Porsche. I gotta do all the body work on the Vega myself, and get it ready for sale.

Then I'll give the CRX back and have just the Porsche as a daily driver. And it's gonna be that 911, or if that's sold, then I'll look for a 928 in black. Then come the real projects - Dune buggy, Rat Rod. Hopefully by then I'll have the body skills necessary to scratch build something.

Proper Slantnoses aren't bought, they are Made :)

I'm a fan of the nose from a distance, but when you get up close and see the small lids and overall quality of the design, you'll go back to the frog nose.

And I think a slantnose on the 928 is better.

This is the older Strosek nose which deleted the headlights and moved them down, Pretty but crude:
928_Old_Strosek.jpg

This is a slantnose 928:
928FlipLights.jpg

Last edited:
Porsche 928 ($10,000)

Crappy engine, Ugly

Porsche 911 ($16,000)

Didnt say what year, but at 16k, im guessing we are talking about the 964. I say no just because its just not cool enough to blow 16 grand on.

Lotus Esprit($20,000)

Very cool car, very limited in parts and service. (my pick btw) I doubt its a V8 TT for 20k, but ive always like the looks

1983 Supra ($500 + $1200 work and paint with massive rust)

No no no no no no no. GOD NO. One of the worst cars ever made, and seriously, the mk2 is a PILE OF JUNK (hense the $500 price tag). Id rather have a supra with a celica badge than an MK2

1981 caged Scirocco ($3500)

I cant put enough Ws in EWWWWWWWWWWWWW

1987 Civic Si (I imagine $2000 when is all said and done)

Livable, but laughable. I drove one of these (DX) for a while and its a vacuum nightmare. I just couldnt force a pre 88 honda on anyone...even an enemy.

88-91 CRX Hf ($1000 with about $1000 when done)

Not a bad choice...im partial to hondas, but with the esprit above, its hard to say "go with the rex"

1989 RX7 Turbo II ($3500 or so)

That rotary engine is problematic, but workable. Also a decent choice, but nothing compared to the esprit.

2000ish Honda Insight ($8000 or so, financed)

Most reasonable of the choices...but its a reasonable choice.

Porsche 928 ($10,000)

Crappy engine, Ugly
What the fuck is wrong with you ? The engine is great, the electrical is what people have a problem with. since 1982 it's been an honest 150 mph car.

Porsche 911 ($16,000)

Didnt say what year, but at 16k, im guessing we are talking about the 964. I say no just because its just not cool enough to blow 16 grand on.
No, at $16k it's a 1989 911 Celebration edition, with signature seats. 3.2 non-turbo. It's a great price because it's a recovered and repaired flood car. Not a dead body, but it got caught in a "sprinkler incident" I know it's good, but it's cheap because of that.

Lotus Esprit($20,000)

Very cool car, very limited in parts and service. (my pick btw) I doubt its a V8 TT for 20k, but ive always like the looks
Actually Lotii use many Toyota parts, always have. Toyota clutches, brake components, and pretty standard stuff. There are lists of Lotus cross references out there. And no it's not a V8. I've been looking for a first gen Giugaro body (1986-1987 Turbo HCi) but the first year second gens are more apt to be found in Black (A must) and are actually the same price. So it's a turbo 4 I'm looking at.

1983 Supra ($500 + $1200 work and paint with massive rust)

No no no no no no no. GOD NO. One of the worst cars ever made, and seriously, the mk2 is a PILE OF JUNK (hense the $500 price tag). Id rather have a supra with a celica badge than an MK2

You know NOTHING about cars. You have no taste. You're a heretic and a fool. This is my favored purchase out of the whole group, but they are getting REALLY rare.

1987 Civic Si (I imagine $2000 when is all said and done)

Livable, but laughable. I drove one of these (DX) for a while and its a vacuum nightmare. I just couldnt force a pre 88 honda on anyone...even an enemy.

Only specific regions got the Vacuum nightmare engines. I'm talking about an 86/87 Si. And watch your mouth son, us first gen CRXers will take the pepsi challenge anyday.

88-91 CRX Hf ($1000 with about $1000 when done)

Not a bad choice...im partial to hondas, but with the esprit above, its hard to say "go with the rex"

The Lotus is 20 times as expensive. Apples and oranges.

Man, were you dropped on your head, like, recently ?

:) Dork

What the fuck is wrong with you ? The engine is great, the electrical is what people have a problem with. since 1982 it's been an honest 150 mph car.

The engine cant be great if it doesnt turn over.

No, at $16k it's a 1989 911 Celebration edition, with signature seats. 3.2 non-turbo. It's a great price because it's a recovered and repaired flood car. Not a dead body, but it got caught in a "sprinkler incident" I know it's good, but it's cheap because of that.

1989 911 = a 964. So my above stands. 964 is not pleasing to my eyes.

Actually Lotii use many Toyota parts, always have. Toyota clutches, brake components, and pretty standard stuff. There are lists of Lotus cross references out there. And no it's not a V8. I've been looking for a first gen Giugaro body (1986-1987 Turbo HCi) but the first year second gens are more apt to be found in Black (A must) and are actually the same price. So it's a turbo 4 I'm looking at.

New info, thanks :)

You know NOTHING about cars. You have no taste. You're a heretic and a fool. This is my favored purchase out of the whole group, but they are getting REALLY rare.

Doesnt change the fact that an MK2 is trash.

Only specific regions got the Vacuum nightmare engines. I'm talking about an 86/87 Si. And watch your mouth son, us first gen CRXers will take the pepsi challenge anyday.

One of my best friends has a 87 Rex. Im intitled to make that comment after fishing out a 9 port vacuum hub that had fucking melted.

The Lotus is 20 times as expensive. Apples and oranges.

True enough

Man, were you dropped on your head, like, recently ?

:) Dork

MAAAYBE....could be just an under sexed, over worked, kid that knows jack shit about cars :ph34r:

Back