Opinion: Rockford Fosgate Omnifi MP3 car thing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hosmer

I made the millionth post
VIP
What do you guys think of these things?
I was thinking of ordering one for that empty slot in my new audio console :)

Its like a 20GB Ipod for your car, that you can't take with you...

L429383.jpg

Yeah. Those things usually don't stick around, and they're discontinued pretty quickly. Just get yourself a DVD capable deck.

JVC has one that can be had in the low 200s range. I want one for myself actually.

I side with the rest of them, get an mp3 capable DVD headunit. You'll be much happier. Save the other open spot for an eq or a processor.

Quoted post[/post]]
http://www.cardomain.com/item/JVCKDAVX1

I dunno if I'd like watching movies on a screen the size of a post-it note, but it's a cool feature. Nice price too.

yep, thats what i have in my car.

the screen is crystal clear. sure its small, but who honestly watches movies in their car? if you do, you need to get a life... i've watched like 2 dvds on it.
once, when i first got it....
and a 2nd time, when i was camping and got bored...

oh wait, a 3rd time... i have a tiesto live set dvd.... but i really only listened to it, not watched it. :p

the oly complaint i have with it, is that the track will re-start at the beginning. it won't pick up where you left off at.
normally this is not a big deal, but if you have an hour long set on 1 track, it gets annoying hearing the same 15 min of it everytime you go from stop A to stop B and back home...

I'm up to 3.5 open DINS in my NX2000. I'm gonna go for some sort of record.

But yeah, I have 3 CDs with MP3s on them and it's good for a month of music (Before Sirius I drove for a month around the country and sure enough, I really didn't repeat too much music). With a DVD that's an insane amount of tunes.

I'm going with a 7" doubledin hongkong fooey touchscreen no-namer double din and a single din Maxima cupholder to replace the ashtray / NX2000 cupholder. That can also have a faceplate on it (Like an SSI NEO MP3 player) or something else. The thing is going to be a spaceship when I'm done. the .5 din slot will be for a Pyle DVD /MP3 DVD combo.

-> S

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
http://www.cardomain.com/item/JVCKDAVX1

I dunno if I'd like watching movies on a screen the size of a post-it note, but it's a cool feature. Nice price too.

yep, thats what i have in my car.

the screen is crystal clear. sure its small, but who honestly watches movies in their car? if you do, you need to get a life... i've watched like 2 dvds on it.
once, when i first got it....
and a 2nd time, when i was camping and got bored...

oh wait, a 3rd time... i have a tiesto live set dvd.... but i really only listened to it, not watched it. :p

the oly complaint i have with it, is that the track will re-start at the beginning. it won't pick up where you left off at.
normally this is not a big deal, but if you have an hour long set on 1 track, it gets annoying hearing the same 15 min of it everytime you go from stop A to stop B and back home...

I think most mp3 stereos do that now. Mine does. If I have any long sets like that I use mp3 slicer to break them up into little ~10 minute segments to circumvent that problem.

Must be touch screen, open source, VGA or at least NTSC and be able to integrate.

I'm a car guy, but I'm also a nerd.

Yes, I do want that. Well, Most of that.

I have the Shell written for the win98 Kernel (It's something I've had for years) unless I can get someone to update me in Litestep for XP. and I have to go home and measure out 10" in my dash for it. Also, the PC unit itself looks alittle large. I may need to mount a firewire drive indash.

But hey, thanks for showing me ! I haven't seen this exact build. it looks good.

Edit: Holy cost batman. Just added up, and while it may be in the future, it's not for now. Can't take $1000 from the paint budget to get the basic system components.

I was actually looking for a double din 6.5" or 7" monitor that would mount in the console (leave the coin tray out) and I'd put the DVD player in the stock radio location but I couldn't find one that had a mount like that (brackets for each side that locked into a double-din space)

Anyone know of someone that makes something along those lines..?

i don't like pioneer head units.

they sound good and all, and the quality is fine... i just don't like thier UI.

jensen.... is that officially pep boys brand yet?

Steve told me that Jensen is basically the same as the Pyle stuff you find all over Ebay. I figure he'd know, he's been looking at these things for a long time.

If I had the dough I'd get the Kenwood. I don't like Pioneer's UI either most of the time.

Back