Opinions on best cars for 6-8k?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

totalburnout

VIP
Okay, for starters I pretty much already started a thread with the same central idea as this but I'm considering some more cars in my price range now.

I pretty much have or will have right around 6k. Looking for the best car I can get in that range.

I need a car with;
NO RUST
Good gas mileage
Handles well
Easily runs on the highway 90mph+
Isn't a pain to maintain
Has around 100k miles or less
Modern features - i.e., power windows, power door locks, perferabley a moon roof/sunroof.
Good ride quality
Not noisey as hell

Cars I have in mind;

92+ 300zx
87+ Porsche 944
95+ VW GTI Vr6
95+ Integra GSR
etc.,

I'd like the car to have a semi aggressive/sporty look and also be able to perform atleast decently. I pretty much dont want to go below 170hp and around the same torque because I want a decently quick car. I have like no mechanical experience so doing a swap is above me, plus if I did do it I would need help and it would put the car out of commission for quite awhile plus I would have to do it in someone else's garage....so thats out.

Any opinions on these cars or other cars in the price range?

Originally posted by NissanNiNjA2nd@Jul 30 2004, 11:09 PM
What is the main purpose for the vehicle?
[post=370641]Quoted post[/post]​

To drive...? :p

Uh just a normal daily driver. I'd like to be able to take it through the turns and push the car at a decent speed fairly often and it would be nice to have a car that I could kill another car or two from a stop with. I'd like a moderately quick car but it doesnt have to be a corvette (even if I'd like it to be, since I just dont have that kind of money) that sees the highway often. My work is like 5 mins away, but the girl I've been with for a year and half + lives an hour and a half away now and her college is 200miles away when she's there....so every weekend or every other weekend its going to see 160-400+ miles on the highway. I want to be comfortable driving around town and driving on the highway and dont want a noisey ass car that I have to romp on to get to 90-100mph like my del sol s.

I forgot to mention ride quality/sound is fairly important.

B, I've heard about porsches being high maintenance obviously and I heard the VW could be a pain if its not working because its basically a lesser porsche, but i havent heard that many problems about non turbo 300zx's. I've heard some but not a ton.

Anybody else have any car ideas?

a friend of mine has a NA 300ZX. they're very comfortable to ride in, but kind of a bitch to work on yourself due to the highly cramped and poorly engineered engine bay. other than that, they seem reliable, and fairly sporty.

stay away from the 944.......I would go with a 95-97 240sx........ but from your choices I would go with the GSR.

I think i may get a Black '97 VW GTI vr6

Leather seats
moon roof
power doors
power locks
neuspeed intake
60/40 drop
straight pipe without cats
17 racing hart rims

93,000 miles

4 grand

main issue with the 944.... every 30k miles you HAVE to replace all the belts and the water pump. although they handle amazingly. and if anyone wants to argue the issue about the belts and waterpump, feel free. try owning 1 or several.

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Jul 31 2004, 10:53 PM
I think i may get a Black '97 VW GTI vr6

Leather seats
moon roof
power doors
power locks
neuspeed intake
60/40 drop
straight pipe without cats
17 racing hart rims

93,000 miles

4 grand
[post=370946]Quoted post[/post]​

When i went to put a deposit down the car was already gone :angry:

BS, man. BS.

Anyway, yeah, I'd check out '95-'96 or '97 Nissan 240SX and early '90s NA 300ZX. More room and less power, or less room and more power.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Aug 6 2004, 12:55 PM
BS, man. BS.

Anyway, yeah, I'd check out '95-'96 or '97 Nissan 240SX and early '90s NA 300ZX. More room and less power, or less room and more power.
[post=373404]Quoted post[/post]​

Wait which is which... HAHAHAH!!!..... :unsure:

Originally posted by NissanNiNjA2nd+Aug 6 2004, 01:05 PM-->
Battle Pope
@Aug 6 2004, 12:55 PM
BS, man. BS.

[post=373404]Quoted post[/post]​

Wait which is which... HAHAHAH!!!..... :unsure:
[post=373408]Quoted post[/post]​

I dont like the look of the 240's unless they have body kits/wings other work done that would be too expensive.

I have a 95 GSR sedan with 128k hwy on it with apexi world sport exhaust, leather, moon roof and a tiny bit of surface rust for 6K

what about a muscle car? plenty of power!

or what about a Grand Prix GTP coupe?

Originally posted by xyswany@Aug 7 2004, 03:59 PM
I have a 95 GSR sedan with 128k hwy on it with apexi world sport exhaust, leather, moon roof and a tiny bit of surface rust for 6K
[post=373832]Quoted post[/post]​

Too rich for my blood, I would just get a GSR swapped HB for less :p . ::cheap cheap cheap:: But i'm always out @ state college cuz my g/f goes to PSU

Back