opinions on intakes?//noob

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JR3

I'm no purist, I'm just going for simple mods/upgrades. So don't give me the "if you want power, swap this....turbo that....bore this...blah...blah..blah.blah"

The car: 93 si coupe... I bought it with an aftermarket exhaust, I don't know the make.
I'm just wondering what an intake will give me, performance / sound / fuel efficiency or any other factors they will contribute to my car. And whats the difference between, say an AEM and a cheap one, bomz (as seen on ebay for $35) I've heard that an aftermarket intake will rob you of power from a friend...but he's a hater (he drives a "pimped-out" 4-door sunflower...i mean sunfire) any way...enough about "Mom" cars... Give me the +/- of intakes and some suggestions as to which one to get.

I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I don't believe you have a Si.

Regardless, if it was me I'd look for a used AEM to match your year/engine/body style and call it a day. Or consider just removing the resonator and drop in a K&N panel filter. Both will improve your engine's breathing capabilities and sound more aggressive under acceleration.

Scan the posts - you'll learn alot as there are many in this forum who are quite wise and experienced (unlike myself).

If you are looking for performance vs price, and AEM is a bit expensive for what you get, and unless you go for the big boys (Fujita, AEM V2, ARC) the price difference between a $160 AEM short ram and the $35 Ebay short ram is basically the hardware, filter and funky powdercoating.

My advice: Find a short ram/cold air kit on ebay, the cheapest you can find. Try and find one with the tube diameter shown, and then shop around for a K&N, or any decent name-brand cotton-gauze filter. When you get both, chuck the shitty Ebay filter and clamp the reliable K&N onto the tubing. Paint it if you want, but for the most part you get a $165 cold air kit for around $60-100. The intake system on my old Civic (minime, ignition, crome, etc) was basically a used generic 3" short ram intake pipe with a used HKS megaflow filter element on it. It worked better and sounded better than my $130 AEM short ram, and only cost me about $50.

I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I don't believe you have a Si.

Ahem...please veiw attachment...

Making my own sounds good, I'll definately see if i can pick up some a cheap tube and slap on a good quality filter. I'll ask a buddy of mine if he'll trade me his tube for my stock air box(his EG has air ride and is basically a demo car for his air-ride "business in the making")

Is there any specific type of paint that won't peel or bubble from the engine heat?

Attachments

• Si-ownership.jpg
    Si-ownership.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 196
where do you live that you have a 93 si coupe? they don't make them in the us. anways, you could use an engine paint or take it somewhere and have it professionally powdercoated. might cost $20 to have done.

i use an aem v2 cold air, true cold air, i got a pretty good jump in hp with it. but everyone is right, just about anything is better than a stock intake box. heres a website that you might find interesting, JDM Honda Parts, JDM Honda Engines / JDM Nissan Motor Swaps, Used JDM Parts - Password JDM they make a very nice carbon fiber intake for a fraction of the cost of a j's racing intake and i think it looks better too. if you do a short ram intake you won't see the gains that you would from a true cold-air

Ah, but a short ram vs. cold air horsepower gains are not really proportional to the price increase.

Find a way to duct cold air from outside, if you are really that motivated. You can use the stock bottom half of your airbox and the stock snorkel - modified to feed from under the car - or duct the air using a scoop, like my old setup.

1000508to7.jpg

you could also get a generic short ram intake and if you don't feel like spending the time to build something yourself you can go to weapon-r and get their air filter with the ram air for pretty cheap and just slap it on the generic intake

I live in Canada... I'm not sure of the differences between the models.

I think i'll go short-ram, and i'll definately try to make something to give it more air-flow. A buddy of mine just installed a short-ram on his 2003 SiR and the pipe is like 5 feet long... it snakes down through the engine compartment and the cone sits right in front of the little vent on the drivers side, it's a pretty sweet spot but he had a hell of a time with it, having to cut out a peice of the inner fender and all. But the work was worth it, it sounds bad-ass and sucks air like a hooker sucks.....

...ok story time's over....Did you have any problems with debris or water with your "scoop setup"?

Not really, I didn't go fording any 4' puddles, and stayed away from huge piles of dirt. Since the filter itself is up off the roadway, water isnt an issue.

I was just wondering mostly about the water since where I live whenever it rains the streets typically get a good 2-3 inches of water over them where I have to drive to work etc.

Well thanks for the help guys, It's time to go intake shopping.:cool:

Back