1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

opinions on intakes?//noob

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by JR3, Sep 18, 2006.

1. JR3

JR3 New Member

I'm no purist, I'm just going for simple mods/upgrades. So don't give me the "if you want power, swap this....turbo that....bore this...blah...blah..blah.blah"

The car: 93 si coupe... I bought it with an aftermarket exhaust, I don't know the make.
    I'm just wondering what an intake will give me, performance / sound / fuel efficiency or any other factors they will contribute to my car. And whats the difference between, say an AEM and a cheap one, bomz (as seen on ebay for $35) I've heard that an aftermarket intake will rob you of power from a friend...but he's a hater (he drives a "pimped-out" 4-door sunflower...i mean sunfire) any way...enough about "Mom" cars... Give me the +/- of intakes and some suggestions as to which one to get.

2. E-Man

E-Man No idea what I'm saying

I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I don't believe you have a Si.

Regardless, if it was me I'd look for a used AEM to match your year/engine/body style and call it a day. Or consider just removing the resonator and drop in a K&N panel filter. Both will improve your engine's breathing capabilities and sound more aggressive under acceleration.

Scan the posts - you'll learn alot as there are many in this forum who are quite wise and experienced (unlike myself).

3. EGProject

EGProject YEEEEAAHHHHH

If you are looking for performance vs price, and AEM is a bit expensive for what you get, and unless you go for the big boys (Fujita, AEM V2, ARC) the price difference between a $160 AEM short ram and the $35 Ebay short ram is basically the hardware, filter and funky powdercoating.

My advice: Find a short ram/cold air kit on ebay, the cheapest you can find. Try and find one with the tube diameter shown, and then shop around for a K&N, or any decent name-brand cotton-gauze filter. When you get both, chuck the shitty Ebay filter and clamp the reliable K&N onto the tubing. Paint it if you want, but for the most part you get a $165 cold air kit for around $60-100. The intake system on my old Civic (minime, ignition, crome, etc) was basically a used generic 3" short ram intake pipe with a used HKS megaflow filter element on it. It worked better and sounded better than my $130 AEM short ram, and only cost me about $50.

4. JR3

JR3 New Member

Ahem...please veiw attachment...

Making my own sounds good, I'll definately see if i can pick up some a cheap tube and slap on a good quality filter. I'll ask a buddy of mine if he'll trade me his tube for my stock air box(his EG has air ride and is basically a demo car for his air-ride "business in the making")

Is there any specific type of paint that won't peel or bubble from the engine heat?

Attached Files:

5. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

where do you live that you have a 93 si coupe? they don't make them in the us. anways, you could use an engine paint or take it somewhere and have it professionally powdercoated. might cost $20 to have done.

6. MoSeS

MoSeS New Member

i use an aem v2 cold air, true cold air, i got a pretty good jump in hp with it. but everyone is right, just about anything is better than a stock intake box. heres a website that you might find interesting, JDM Honda Parts, JDM Honda Engines / JDM Nissan Motor Swaps, Used JDM Parts - Password JDM they make a very nice carbon fiber intake for a fraction of the cost of a j's racing intake and i think it looks better too. if you do a short ram intake you won't see the gains that you would from a true cold-air

7. EGProject

EGProject YEEEEAAHHHHH

Ah, but a short ram vs. cold air horsepower gains are not really proportional to the price increase.

Find a way to duct cold air from outside, if you are really that motivated. You can use the stock bottom half of your airbox and the stock snorkel - modified to feed from under the car - or duct the air using a scoop, like my old setup.

[​IMG]

8. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

OEM airbox w/ K&N drop in FTW!!!

9. MoSeS

MoSeS New Member

you could also get a generic short ram intake and if you don't feel like spending the time to build something yourself you can go to weapon-r and get their air filter with the ram air for pretty cheap and just slap it on the generic intake

10. JR3

JR3 New Member

I live in Canada... I'm not sure of the differences between the models.

I think i'll go short-ram, and i'll definately try to make something to give it more air-flow. A buddy of mine just installed a short-ram on his 2003 SiR and the pipe is like 5 feet long... it snakes down through the engine compartment and the cone sits right in front of the little vent on the drivers side, it's a pretty sweet spot but he had a hell of a time with it, having to cut out a peice of the inner fender and all. But the work was worth it, it sounds bad-ass and sucks air like a hooker sucks.....

...ok story time's over....Did you have any problems with debris or water with your "scoop setup"?

11. EGProject

EGProject YEEEEAAHHHHH

Not really, I didn't go fording any 4' puddles, and stayed away from huge piles of dirt. Since the filter itself is up off the roadway, water isnt an issue.

12. JR3

JR3 New Member

I was just wondering mostly about the water since where I live whenever it rains the streets typically get a good 2-3 inches of water over them where I have to drive to work etc.

Well thanks for the help guys, It's time to go intake shopping.:cool:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted