Opinions on Rotors

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

halcyon985

I am looking to get some new rotors my 00 Civic EX, front only (haven't saved up the cash yet to convert the rears! I see some Brembo "Sport Slotted Rotors" for $161 for the pair? Are slotted rotors worth it? I do need to replace the rotors before I put new pads on, so its either this or new stock rotors (which is obviously a lot cheaper). Any thoughts on the subject, as in is it worth it at all, and if it is, what people think are the best buy...

get brembo blanks

blanks are 4X less expensive
blanks have more surface area (more stopping power)

slotted rotors were designed to allow gasses produced by the pad to escape so you dont get pad float and to shave off glaze from the pad surface

these were problems with pads made YEARS ago.... newer (decent quality) pads do not have these problems.... so there is no point.... and you are losing surface area (braking power)

cross drilled rotors have the same problem of less surface area... the only reason rotors are cross drilled is to reduce weight (this is the reason porsche uses them... they have like 13" rotors stock)

either way the blanks are still better.... get good pads (i run and recomend Hawk HP+... i have used them at several track events with NO COMPLAINTS whats so ever) and run some high temp brake fluid (i use ATE blue {also known as smurff jiz} ZERO fade when doing 30 minute track runs repeatedly slowing from 120-60) stainless steel brake lines are also a good idea... they dont flex like the stock rubber lines do resulting in more brakeing force reaching the brakes

the only change i would make to that list is if the car is predominantly a street car get the Hawk HPS pads (a little less agressive... a little less dusty... a little less harsh on the rotors)

so basicly Brembo blanks are about $40 a set... this means you can run through 4 sets for the price of one set of cross drilled or slotted rotors.... basicly it isnt gunna happen unless you are SERIOUSLY doing something wrong

Thanks, I appreciate the advice, I think I'll get em. I think I'll go with the + pads though, I drive pretty hard, and like you said, I can replace the rotors 4 times over! :lol:

i get autozone rotors, $20 each

Originally posted by TripleDigitEK4@Jul 5 2003, 10:54 AM
Yea then you'll be back to autozone every week to get a fresh pair. haha...

HA
uh, no

Autozone seems like they kick a lot of ass, I have only been in there a couple times, as there isn't one near my house, only a poop boys. :puke:

Don't they lend out tools there, and they will check your check engine code for free? That's some service.

They have alot of shit parts, APC shit, people that don't know what the hell they are talking about, prices high on some shit, however, rotors are good, and they have lend a tool stuff.

Back