Opinions On The Zc

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tedwright

i had a zc in my rex. i loved it. it was a super easy swap. very inexpensive engine. over the stock si engine the power is pretty impressive, but after like a month or so you are gonna be like, "damn this isnt that fast after all, i shoulda went with the b16". a friend of mine now has a rex with a b16, we just finished it up and that is awesome. swap was a little trickier, but well worth the extra time and money. so i would have to say if you are on a budget, zc...........and if you can splurge a little bit, b16a. oh and yes, my zc DID use some oil. nothing too bad, but it was noticable. hope this helped you out some.

The ZC will usually tear through axles because someone used the wrong ones with the ZC transmission. If it's not a ZC transmission, then you shouldn't have any axle issues. The 4G D series transmissions can hold up to the abuse that an unmodified (or even I/H/E) ZC can dish out with no problems.

ZCs burn oil typically because someone didn't take care of them. I know mine eats a quart every 100 miles, but that's because the guy who had the car before me was a retard and preferred to swap engines every time something blew up rather than just maintain a healthy one. Your experience will depend on your luck. If the engine run well in the car you buy, I would recommend just keeping it as is, unless your girlfriend is going to pony up the $4000 or so you'll need to get a GSR engine into it.

no it hasnt had time but i wish it did. traffic fines suck especially a
490$ neglagent driving ticket. :(
and it has a dx tranny also my zc dont eat oil at all i was happy
to find that out.my old teg at oil like a motha fu#%*@

Originally posted by Blanco@Jun 23 2003, 01:58 AM
Right on. The swap's probably a year away and I'll end up with two 4G's. This one has a stock D tranny on it, so it doesn't look like the axles will be an issue. And the swap's only a few months old, so it hopefully hasn't had time to be run into the ground. Thanks, this is what I was looking for. :)

Oh yeah, my lady doesn't buy my stuff...I do. :)

You buying from cvichb?

You should be ok. If it eats a little bit of oil, you might try some of that Restore gunk in a can that you can dump into your engine.

I love the ZC in my sedan. If runs flawlessly, doesn't burn oil, and is pretty quick. And considering my 89 DX sedan weighs less than the same year CRX Si, it's always funny humiliating people at stoplights. Leaving work for lunch today, a new Jetta 1.9T pulled up by me at the light. The guy looked over at me and smirked before the light turned green.

By 55mph, I was 2 car lengths ahead....

Also, the car's for sale if you know anyone who's interested:

https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?...=ST&f=5&t=13931

Originally posted by Blanco+Jun 23 2003, 05:43 PM-->
Originally posted by Calesta@Jun 23 2003, 04:46 PM
Blanco
@Jun 23 2003, 03:29 PM
but I found an '88 DX hatch...which is even lighter.

Ah... but his sedan transmission is better. :)

Quite true, but I can get an Si tranny and still have the weight difference. And I like the 4G hatchs more than the sedans. :p

There you go. That'll work. :thumbsup:

I did the ZC swap into my 4dr LX and no complains I have the dx tranny and it's pretty fast and I have no complains what so ever runs great and to make matters even better it does'nt eat oil at all it runs perfect I've had the engine for about 3 months now, I'vr left cars on the traffic lights and highway going like :wtf:. I have a friend that has a DX 2000 and said that even If did the ZC swap that I'll be no match for him, :D he's still trying to beat me every day when we get out of work... Bottom line if you can get it with the car hey :thumbsup: why not...

Question- did you use a hatch DX transmission or your stock LX sedan transmission? The DX hatch 5 speeds have a taller final drive than the DX and LX sedan transmissions.

Stock LX tranny it's not the best but they did have the ZC tranny at the moment so still waiting for the other tranny <_<

Your stock LX transmission is better than you think. The 4.058 final drive is a nice intermediary between the hatch DX's 3.888 and the Si's 4.250. Gears 1-5 are identical for the 88-91 USDM 5 speeds (except HF).

Believe me I have no complains, do you think the ZC tranny would complete the trick I mean is it really that better than mine... :D thanks for the input well recieved input is all ways the best and especially when it's free, thanks :worthy:

Originally posted by Drenni@Jun 25 2003, 06:36 PM
Believe me I have no complains, do you think the ZC tranny would complete the trick I mean is it really that better than mine... :D thanks for the input well recieved input is all ways the best and especially when it's free, thanks :worthy:

Not THAT much better. Gear spacing is better than the Si transmission (1-5) but the final drive is the 3.888 again.

Back