Opnions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tfenton

Hey whats going on guys? Ive recenty bought a crx for 2500 (too much in my opinion, but i wanted one BAD). Its the Dx im starting to fall in love with the car, engine revs great no smoke its got 123k, but its so damn slow. So heres what i did i drove 2 hours to get an engine B18B1 for 200 bucks (came with pistons, crank, head, intake manifold blah blah, all in pieces). So i was thinking of just putting back together and drop it in with b16 tranny some other bolt ons. But ive recently been thinking what could i do so i started to look and now i want to build it up and get like 230ish something to get it crusing. So heres what i found (11lb flywheel, venom 440c injectors, weisco 13:1 pistons, eagle rods, bc dual valve springs with ti retainers, bc valves .5 over, ls crank, 404 bc cams) thats all internal so far i know im missing shit but its a start. Also (stock manifold, 70mm tb skunk 2, jdm carbon fiber intake, stainless steal headers, exhaust unsure). Im new to honda game, i have 01 dakota that i love but it gets 10mpg and shit for that is so exspensive. Now i know you all have opinions and i want to hear them but dont fucking write bullshit PLEASE...my dog just died and i need something to keep my mind off of him...Thanks

in that incoherent babble you asked nothing more than "whats going on guys?" what do you want help with?

use some common sense give me opinions, what i should do, correct me on shit. Like if it was you building it.

Translated

Hey whats going on guys? I recently purchased a crx for $2,500 (too much in my opinion, but I wanted one bad). It's the DX and I'm starting to fall in love with the car, engine revs great, no smoke, it's got 123k miles on it, but the problem is it's too damn slow. So here's what I did, I drove 2 hours to get a B18B1 for 200 bucks (compete engine, but disassembled). So I was thinking of rebuilding it and using the B16 tranny, and some other bolt ons. But since I have to rebuild it, I was thinking might as well rebuild it, shooting for 230ish HP .

So heres what I found:
11lb flywheel
Venom 440c injectors (not really necessary)
Wiseco 13:1 pistons (Why? Don't like pump gas, going to need a hell of a tune)
Eagle rods
Crower dual valve springs with titanium retainers
Crower valves
Bore it .5 over
LS crank
404 Crower cams

Thats all the internals I have so far, I know I'm missing some things but it's a start. For bolt ons I was thinking:

Stock manifold
70mm Skunk2 Throttle Body
JDM carbon fiber intake (don't waste your money on the whale penis, just get a decent CAI, or mod the stock box)
Stainless steel header
Exhaust, unsure of brand.

I'm new to the Honda game, I have 01 Dakota that I love but it gets 10mpg and parts for that is so expensive. Now I know you all have opinions and I want to hear them, but PLEASE don't bullshit me

...Thanks

You'd greatly benefit from a good port job with this build.

ok new plan since that will cost like 4,ooo. Now im going turbo route because it will be more benfical. Stock bottom end, for the head (could i use turbo cam kit until i get turbo or no?). B16 tranny could i do hydro tranny or im i stuck with cable?

ok new plan since that will cost like 4,ooo. Now im going turbo route because it will be more benfical. Stock bottom end, for the head (could i use turbo cam kit until i get turbo or no?). B16 tranny could i do hydro tranny or im i stuck with cable?

A decent turbo by the time it's can easily run you about the same after tuning. You can convert to a hydraulic transmission, check out Hasport.com

A decent turbo by the time it's can easily run you about the same after tuning. You can convert to a hydraulic transmission, check out Hasport.com

But a turbo would be more benefical in you opinion? And ive seen a million threads on what b18b1 can handle as PSI like 7-8 other said 10-15 with a good tune would i get about the same with a good tune?

You're going to need new rings and gaskets on the build, water/oil pumps would be smart. There is no "beneficial", only what you want out of the motor. With your power goals you can get there not too expensively with boost.

I think you may be getting in over your head. Have you even built an engine before?

yea i was looking at the 250-275ish range thats def possible with good tune? Also should i get the head port and polished because thats a lot of money for some sanding but would it almost be necessary?

ive rebuilt engines but not from the ground up... so im kinda nervous but i can do it ive got to do something its so boring in the winter lol.

And ive seen a million threads on what b18b1 can handle as PSI like 7-8 other said 10-15 with a good tune would i get about the same with a good tune?

If your lookin at how much PSI you can run, your in over your head.

I will say this, you can make 300 horse with a B18 reliably for quite a while.

To me, it sounds like you should prally spend a lot more time researching turbo setups and leave your car like it is for now.

To get 200+whp NA
P&P Vtec head
springs and retainers (I like ITR retainers for a DD as titanium need replaced every 15-30K something some people dont know)
S2T2 cams
12.5:1-13:1 compression
at least 83mm bore, if sleeved 84-85mm (bigger is better especially with NA)
LS crank for its longer stroke
LS or GSR rods will do fine
balance bottom end
good header like Hytech or RMF (replicas work fine)
2.5-3" exhaust
310cc injectors
190lph fuel pump
a good tune and the highest octane you can get at the pumps
But I agree with earlier posts that a turbo will get you to 230whp at a lower cost and less work and 300who on a strong B series is no problem.

If I could chime in, I'd rebuild the suspension with either rubber bushings or poly. Some new struts and quality springs (about 1.5" lower). Then get a good shop to align it CORRECTLY for a lowered vehicle and weight that you usually carry in it.

UNCLOG that restrictive exhaust if "the G man" will let you.

Look for an SI trans or get a cheaper 5spd and rebuild it with different final drive, check out the clutch assy and save up for a build that suits YOU/YOUR driving.. It adds up quick for parts and if you don't get GOOD machine work, all those parts you paid big bucks for just melted...

You'd probably be surprised how making your vehicle 'handle' will make it act quicker with the 'same ol engine'.. Plus, it all FITS and you won't need special mounting or wiring..

you didn't say what year crx..?

Just my .02
E

Last edited:
Back