options and statistics on engine swap with my 97 civic dx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mv28walden

I've just bought a Civic Dx and was curious to know what kinda of hp i would be lookin at for each engine swap. I know there are a few different options but i was wondering if anyone would like to float some of their knowledge my way! Thanks

all of these are basic hp numbers. you will be looking at a lot of different answers from different types, like type R's, JDM's etc.

b16- around 160hp
b18- about 170-180hp
h23- 190 (expensive)
h22- 200 (expensive)
k20- 200
k24- 210-220 (im not sure on that one so don't rip my head off if its not right)
b20- no clue
f- series- don't bother
d-series- strong engines but not good performance choices

these are all rough estimates. there are a lot different variables that can be thrown in. i also rounded the numbers to the nearest tenth, so once again don't bite my head off if they arent specific. also the b-series swaps would be the best option in my opinion. they are tried and true, and with the growing popularity of the k-series engines the price of b- series engines is dropping. me personally, i like the h-series, but its expensive and very difficult to swap into a civic, so im going with b18 :D

Thanks

Hey MoSes, thanks for the info.....and i'm not going to rip your head off, dont have to worry about that...lol I've been talkin to alot of ppl and i think i'm going to stick with the B18, you dont know where i can get one do ya? and how much we're talkin?

you would have to shop around to find an engine. but they are everywhere. the prices are going to vary from engine to engine, JDM's will be skyrocketed in prices and way overcharged considering you arent getting much more in the way of performance (my personal opinion) plus with JDM its harder to drop the engine in because a lot of components aren't the same as USDM but a b18 block with a b16 head will get you the torque of the b18 with the vtec of the b16. Frankenstein.

Just wanted to clarify a few things here.

b18- about 170-180hp

That depends on which B18 you're talking about. If you are talking a B18A or B18B, then it's only going to be 130-140 hp. If you're talking about a B18C (the VTEC version) then it could be anywhere from 170-210 hp.

h23- 190 (expensive)
h22- 200 (expensive)

The H23 only puts out around 160 horsepower, unless you're talking about the ultra-rare JDM version that makes 200 something horses. And the regular 160 horsepower version is not that expensive.

The H22 itself is not that expensive either, when compared to the cost of a B18C. An OBD1 H22 swap would probably cost around the same as an OBD1 B16 swap, so they're not really that expensive in comparison. What would make it more expensive is the custom mounts and other customizing you would need to run one in a Civic chassis.

Depends on which version you get; the 01-05 Civic Si and base RSX motor only makes 160 horsepower, while the RSX-S or Type-R motors are going to be in the 200 range.

k24- 210-220 (im not sure on that one so don't rip my head off if its not right)

Once again, there are different versions, the ones from the Accord and CRV only make 160 something horsepower, while the TSX motor is in the 220 range.

Also, you should note that K-series motors are probably going to be the most expensive on average out of all the ones listed.

b20- no clue

Between 130-140 horsepower for a typical B20. However, you can put a VTEC head on these motors just like you can with the non-VTEC B18. A B20 with VTEC might be an even better choice than a B18 with VTEC added because the B20 block puts out relatively good torque numbers for a Honda motor.

d-series- strong engines but not good performance choices

Not necessarily true. It all depends on what you're looking to do. If you slap a turbo kit on a d-series engine (make sure its properly tuned) you could have a decently fast motor for the streets. You can even do an all out build on a d-series motor, the parts are available. If you're looking to make huge horsepower numbers though it would probably be easier to start out with a b-series motor.

And finally, the H22 swap really isn't that bad if you're willing to put in the money for the mounts and other customizing. You'd also have to upgrade the front suspension to deal with the weight of the H22. If you're looking for a motor that you can drop into a Civic and have a fast car with good torque numbers then the H22 is an awesome choice. If you're looking to upgrade to something that's going to be reliable and give you some good performance numbers and has tons of aftermarket building options available (boosted or n/a), then go with a b-series. If you're just looking for a cheap motor swap to beat on or boost then go with a d-series.

K-series motors are very possible as well, and have amazing performance potential, but they are also going to be the most expensive swaps and require customization to install in older Civics.

Back