ostrich

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

preludebuddy

I was talking to this guy last night and he was telling me about this stuff called ostrich. I've asked around locally but nobody seems to know anything about it. All I've heard it was related to uberdata. Have you guys heard or do you know anything about it?

Ostrich is a rom emulator made by Moates.net. It is similar to the Romulator. I have not used one but from what I hear they work as designed. It allows you to make real time adjustments to fuel/spark maps for tuning.

Product Description: This is THE standalone USB emulator. It might be the ONLY one. It will emulate 2732A, 27C128, 27C256, 27C512, and more! Up to 4mbit (29F040) 8-bit emulation. Robust, USB-based realtime EPROM emulation in the palm of your hand! Battery backup lasts 75 years (standard AAA), so you can leave it in the car if you want to. With this device, you can upload an entirely new binary without a hiccup while the car is running. Or, you can change one parameter at a time. Fully compatible with TunerPro RT and TunerCat.

http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?cPa...&products_id=57

not too knowledgable on ecu's but i think it lets you do the tuning with this tool, and then when the tooling is done you burn the chip with the final results...

Quoted post[/post]]
Product Description: This is THE standalone USB emulator. It might be the ONLY one. It will emulate 2732A, 27C128, 27C256, 27C512, and more! Up to 4mbit (29F040) 8-bit emulation. Robust, USB-based realtime EPROM emulation in the palm of your hand! Battery backup lasts 75 years (standard AAA), so you can leave it in the car if you want to. With this device, you can upload an entirely new binary without a hiccup while the car is running. Or, you can change one parameter at a time. Fully compatible with TunerPro RT and TunerCat.

not too knowledgable on ecu's but i think it lets you do the tuning with this tool, and then when the tooling is done you burn the chip with the final results...

yes but you need a chip burner to burn your program to a chip, the ostrich will not burn or tune anything on its own. but it does enable to tune your ecu via a tuning program. ex. Crome pro! :)

yeah, and once you have a program, you can leave it on ostrich, and ditch the laptop. Or, when you go to the track you can whip out the laptop, change to a different map to let you use nitrous or if you change your boost with your turbo, you can correct the fuel maps. Ostrich is VERY useful. If i were to use Uberdata or Crome, i would DEFINITELY invest in Ostrich.

both the ostrich and the Xtronics romulator are Rom Emulators.
They have plugs the same shape as the EEPROM chips. but, they are electronic devices. They will store a program for like 70 years on the internal watch-style battery or something.
but, if you don't want to keep the $175 unit dragging around your passenger floor, you burn a chip with the program, and then you can tuck the ecu away behind the carpet again.

and this thread is like a year old... wtf

lol, i didnt even notice. now the number of posts makes sense. i thought i was losing my mind.

Quoted post[/post]]
lol, i didnt even notice. now the number of posts makes sense. i thought i was losing my mind.

hahah yeah that would be my fault, i was using the search to find a bit more info on ostrich, and i came across this thread. why i put a response is even beyond me. brain fart!

Quoted post[/post]]
yes but you need a chip burner to burn your program to a chip, the ostrich will not burn or tune anything on its own. but it does enable to tune your ecu via a tuning program. ex. Crome pro! :)

The Ostrich will be used for tuning...and if you have an Ostrich, a burner really isnt required since the battery inside of it is designed to last for about 15-30 years...

I just hang the USB cable inside of my glove box and pull it out whenever I need to make updates, it handy and 10 million times better than burning and swapping chips.

Quoted post[/post]]

Just an informational update on this description. You CANNOT load a new binary to the ostrich while the car is running. I've tried. The ecu freaks out and then the car dies, all the while the CEL relay is wigging out behind the dash and making this gnarly clicking noise. Fun times. At least that is my experience with OBD0, it may be different for obd1.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

The Ostrich will be used for tuning...and if you have an Ostrich, a burner really isnt required since the battery inside of it is designed to last for about 15-30 years...

I just hang the USB cable inside of my glove box and pull it out whenever I need to make updates, it handy and 10 million times better than burning and swapping chips.

I think i'm kinda missing something...so the ostrich burns the chip already in your ecu so there is no need to change chips? or does the ostrich stay in your car the whole time attached to your zif socket. also i'm guessing the ostrich gets its bins from a pc or laptop running crome or uberdata. will hondata work? i'm new to this tuning stuff so...

hondata has its own system and doesnt need ostrich. but ostrich stays attached to your car the entire time (unless you burn a chip with something else).

Quoted post[/post]]
hondata has its own system and doesnt need ostrich. but ostrich stays attached to your car the entire time (unless you burn a chip with something else).

Hondata does NOT have it's own system. Hondata used to sell Romulators to tune with, but I imagine their software might support the Ostrich by now. But I don't keep up with Hondata, that is a bad word on the PGMFI.org forums :). Last time I checked, they still modified stock ecus, they weren't making standalones like the AEM, Electromotive, Motec, etc. systems.

And the ostrich is an emulator, not a chip burner. It is a little black box with a PCB in it, and has a eprom little plug in thing to stick into the socket on the ecu. No burning of chips required.

from what i understand the S300 has its own system, but someone correct me if im wrong.

Quoted post[/post]]
the s300 has a flash rom built onto it.
there are no chips.

thats pretty bad ass!

hey i read today on homemadeturbo a dude said that crome pro doesnt datalog.
but on tunewithcrome.com it says one of the features is datalogging. whats the deal there??

sorry just didnt think my question was worth starting a thread over.

Back