ostrich

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Quoted post[/post]]
the s300 has a flash rom built onto it.
there are no chips.
So, basically it's an ostrich built into the ecu. I'll take a picture of my setup, and get a picture of hondata's s300 box.

ostrich-lrg.jpg

Not my ostrich, but it's exactly the same.
No pic of the PM6, but it's a socketed PM6 with a serial port in the side of it.

s300.jpg

The s300, a really clean setup for sure.

Hondata offers a good product for the price, but I got everything I need for about what it costs for just the s300 system. I will say that the hondata package is prettier, and has good software. But if I was obd1, I'd still take a socketed p30, an ostrich, a datalogging cable, an LC-1, and crome pro before I got hondata. Chris has some good prices, and is hella cool to deal with, speaking from personal experience.

Xenocron. These are awesome prices.

Quoted post[/post]]
Just an informational update on this description. You CANNOT load a new binary to the ostrich while the car is running. I've tried. The ecu freaks out and then the car dies, all the while the CEL relay is wigging out behind the dash and making this gnarly clicking noise. Fun times. At least that is my experience with OBD0, it may be different for obd1.

Which app? I do it all the time when I am testing code (obd0, stuff for BRE). I just keep the engine running and put the whole thing. If you are uploading a crap bin, then yes it will throw a solid cel.

Ben

when i turbo edited a zc/pm6 a while back, we had the same problem. it wouldn't take to RTP. with crome, i've never had a problem

Quoted post[/post]]
when i turbo edited a zc/pm6 a while back, we had the same problem. it wouldn't take to RTP. with crome, i've never had a problem

Yeah, with turboedit. ng55 and ng60 roms, they both crashed the ecu when I trtied to sync a new rom in the ostrich while the engine is running.

Oh yeah, welcome to hondaswap, ben.

With OBD0 stuff, it always seemed a little more finnicky than OBD1. I am not sure if that is because of the processors in the ECUs or something in the program or ECU code...I am not a code guy.

But I have always noticed that similar code updates a lot more consistantly and without problems. I mean if you take an OBD0 NG55 code and try to upload NG60 code it is going to flip out the ECU. What the Ostrich is doing is waiting for a pause in the processor where it can 'slip' in some code without being noticed by the ECU that is running everything. If the code is drastically different...it might slip in a bit of code when it shouldnt. Hope that basic explanation makes sense.

And guys, you do know that I (a sponsor here) carry ALL of Moates products...for the same exact prices and sometimes slightly cheaper if ordered in a 'package' and sometimes my shipping is even cheaper :)

Quoted post[/post]]
With OBD0 stuff, it always seemed a little more finnicky than OBD1. I am not sure if that is because of the processors in the ECUs or something in the program or ECU code...I am not a code guy.

But I have always noticed that similar code updates a lot more consistantly and without problems. I mean if you take an OBD0 NG55 code and try to upload NG60 code it is going to flip out the ECU. What the Ostrich is doing is waiting for a pause in the processor where it can 'slip' in some code without being noticed by the ECU that is running everything. If the code is drastically different...it might slip in a bit of code when it shouldnt. Hope that basic explanation makes sense.

And guys, you do know that I (a sponsor here) carry ALL of Moates products...for the same exact prices and sometimes slightly cheaper if ordered in a 'package' and sometimes my shipping is even cheaper :)

To update, loading a bin while the engine running doesn't seem to be an issue anymore. I think it was just a result of switching between ng55 and ng60 codes. If I am uploading bin thqat is just slightly different, I only notice a little blip of hesitation.

Back