out of state car purchase...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pills_PMD

VIP
just wondering if anyone has bought a car out of state.. if they had to pay sales tax when you went to get the title transferred

Well I live in NC right now(stationed in the military) I bought my car from a friend up in NY and I had to pay the sales tax. And it sucks down here. 3% of book value. Back in NY they do it by bill of sale. I never bought a car for more than $1 up there.

sales tax from your state or the state you got it in?? and anyone know ohio's sales tax rate?

Its from the state your registering it in. I have no idea if you goto the states dmv sight you can usually find out everything you need to know.

Yeah, its the state your Regging the car in...suxors.....Its like they say....

"There are two definites.....Death and Taxes"

ohio's is 6%, but as everyone said, you pay it when you get back and registor it here.

yup. I payed cash for my civic and had to pay taxes later without receipt. In vegas they have an estimator to solve disputes such as the person paying 500 bucks for a car, but the dmv wants to charge you taxes for say ...$1000. THen they look at blue book value and the actual condition of the car to determine the taxes owed.

Back