Outside Door Handle Removal...I need some help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

d17type-R

Doc Brown says
I need to remove the outside door handle on my 04 Civic Coupe because some jackass tried opening my passenger door with a flatblade screwdriver and only succeeded in mangling the lock cylinder and fucking up the door skin.

So, I removed to 2 10mm bolts and the catches on the rods but it looks like there's a funny-shaped metal/iron ring that needs a special too to make it come off..... any ideas?

No, I don't have a picture but it should be the same as 2001 through 2003. It's the "retainer ring" I guess. It's the one that holds the lock cylinder in place on the inside of the door handle.

Pictures of said ring

114-1478_IMG.JPG

114-1479_IMG.JPG
Here's a shot or two. It's the chunky metal ring around the end of the cylinder:confused:

yeah, it looks like thats the only way thats comming out

it's not a screw. I pulled off the snap ring around the end of the cylinder that held on the lever for the door catch but still not any farther ahead... it's the ring with the square section on it that's holding on the meatl bracket that the 2 10mm nuts go onto

I don't remember having to pull anything off like that when I pulled the door handles off my 91 integra - they only came out one way though. Disconnect the handle and lock rods, as well as the two bolts, and the door handle should be able to be pulled out of the door.

they changed the setup on the 2001+ model civics... you can't spin the lock with a flatblade anymore either... apparently the clown that tried to get into my car for my 48CENTS CHANGE AND A DINNER MINT!!!!!:rant: .... didn't know that either
114-1486_IMG.JPG

114-1487_IMG.JPG
*le-sigh...Crackheads.... whaddyagonnado?:huh:

Hey whats up. Kind of late in replying, but I just saw your post. On the Hondas there is usually a little lock ring between the lock cylinder and the door handle. What u need to do is if u look at the top of that metal plate there is a little hole that u can see the top of the ring. You need to push down on this ring with a long thin screwdriver and on the bottom of that metal plate there is another opening. In the bottom opening, at the same time u are pushing on the top of the ring u need to pull down on the bottom of the ring in the bottom slot with either a long awl, hey, even a straight piece of a coat hanger will work, and it will pop through the bottom of the plate. Splikity Splat, Your shit should be good. Wish I could show u in pics.

hey thanks for the info. I think I get what you mean. I'm gonna give it a try and I'll let you know
^_^

yea heres the easy, (and by easy i mean the way honda tells us to do it, since thhese lock cylinders SUUUUCK), way to get the lock cylinder out (which must come out before...), and then the door handle. first roll your window all the way down. then take the inside door panel off, and peel back the plastic covering. on the back of the large silver metal braket in this picture:
1091d1160597209-outside-door-handle-removal-i-need-some-help-114-1478_img.jpg

on the lock cylinder itself, but behind that braket is a small e-type clip. through the top of the door, where the window goes into, take a 90 degree pick and look on the back of the cylinder, there should be an e-type clip there with a square hole on the top. put the pick in the and (depending on its orientation to the lock cylinder) push of pull it off (up or down). remove the two nuts on the silver braket, remove that. take the lock cylinder out, remove the handle.

im pretty sure thats how i did it the other day. also, since your lock cylinder is out, you may want to consider rebuilding it. or just bringing it with all the tumblers still intact, with you key, to honda. it's under waurantee still because we're having all sorts of problems with these locks. hope this helps.

...skeeter...

:D got it. What it is, is a "horseshoe" shaped clip. The outside door handle pastic assembly is all one piece and has a collar that goes around the actual locky cylinder and tumbler assembly. The clip holds that in place. It's a really thin wire clip.
So there we go.... I'll put pics up of the apart pieces later^_^

yea that clip evaded me for like an hour when i was trying to rebuild someones lock cylinder.

gald it all worked out. any other questions, im sitting next to the honda manual for your car, just ask...

...skeeter...

Back