Over Rev'd

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Cashizslick

!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
Hey all.

I was recently out practicing my launch for the track.

Mods:
96 S14
S13 Redtop (no ras)
Basic upgrades (exhaust fmic, etc), stock injectors, walbro 255lph fuel pump.

All was going well, but on my last run i missed 2nd gear and saw (to my horror) my rpm's rise to 8k. When the RPM's got up there I heard a grinding noise that went away after they dropped back down.

Wanting to know if something was broken, i decided to do a 3rd gear pull @ 1bar to listen for any noises/performance issues and the car pulled fine :shrug2: I also didnt hear any noises.

I dont think I blew a rocker arm because the car idle's fine and the grinding noise hasn't been back.

Any Idea what that grinding noise was that I heard at around 8k on my miss-shift??

Thanks in advance.

C

your teeth when you saw the tach hit 8K?

what's the standard redline on those things anyways?

If it was a mis shift couldn't it have been the gearbox? I had a trannyleak in my Z28 swapped S15 Jimmy, 2nd always grinded till it got fixed...

i think its like 7K

im sure you are fine. ive overrev'd my mirage many many times, some of them on purpose :p

Yeah i t-t-think im ok . . . if i blow something up at the track next week ill let you all know.

Oh man,

I just poped the hood and i can hear a faint clicking sound coming from my motor when i rev it up . . . :cry: im guessing its a busted rocker arm.

Could it be anything else since the car drives fine?

Maybe the ticking noise was always there, and now you are just paranoid and think you are hearing new noises. If something was damaged you would most like feel a drivability issue. Im sure your ok.

the mirage makes all sorts of funky clicking/tapping noises.

i never find any metal in the oil. im sure you are fine.

Quoted post[/post]]
Maybe the ticking noise was always there, and now you are just paranoid and think you are hearing new noises. If something was damaged you would most like feel a drivability issue. Im sure your ok.

I guess the only thing to do is just drive around on it (obviously not at WOT) and see what happends. Hopefully i am just being paranoid but i really dont think this noise is normal (although its faint).

You can rev a sr20det to 7500, just be sure to get some rocker arm stoppers now, because what you may think, whether it happened or not, that does tend to happen with these motors.
Then again I dont think one time would make it happen.

Quoted post[/post]]
You can rev a sr20det to 7500, just be sure to get some rocker arm stoppers now, because what you may think, whether it happened or not, that does tend to happen with these motors.
Then again I dont think one time would make it happen.

Either way i've gotta pull the vc and check it out. That would be a good time to put the RAS in as well.

too bad you didnt stay later at claytons meet. this sr20det guy sold a set of rocker arm stoppers for 50 bucks.

oh wait, you already got a set.

:wall:

remember those tire and rims I got for $20.......

:toilet:

I had a kid offer $100 for for them.....

:couch:

I felt guilty...so I sold them to him for $60....

:w00t:

:whistle: :giveup:

:poke:

Damn it...there is no sorry gif :mad:

But get the RAS's, the VC gasket, and swing down to my garage when we both have some time, and I'll slap them in for you :wink: no charge :)

Back