overall best swap in the EG chassis

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nonemulatory

im looking to drop my 1.5L d15b engine for a more powerful and faster engine ... i was wondering what was everyones opinions on which engine is the best to swap too ... im looking for something thats going to be a daily driver but still be able to push the HP numbers up into the 250-300 range ... ive heard the H22A and B18c1 engines preform rather well under boost in the EG chassis ... but that the H22A weighed 85lbs more overall than the B18c1 ... i know the H22A comes with 210hp and the b18c1 with 170hp ... but can you make the GSR engine swap faster and more reliable than the H22A?

easy to hit that hp range in a b18c1...8lbs of boost should put you right in that range that you want and still be very reliable

going for the boost means i want lower comp right? ... meaning the B18C1 is better than the B18C3 overall with weight and the other factors added in?

going for the boost means i want lower comp right?

not necessarily... a higher cr with boost will be more difficult to tune , but will turn out more power than a lower cr with boost...

what the hell is a b18c3? I hope you meant b18c5...the b18c1 will save you some money..the best benefit from the c5 is the higher cr like you said and the internals are better. But if you just want to hit that 250hp range go with the c1 like everyone is saying

Actually there is a thread over on honda-tech i think it is where some guy weighed out b series vs h22 and it was NOWHERE near 85lbs, as i remember, it was closer to 20lbs but go look for yourself.

Originally posted by allbottledup@Jul 26 2004, 02:37 AM
what the hell is a b18c3? I hope you meant b18c5...the b18c1 will save you some money..the best benefit from the c5 is the higher cr like you said and the internals are better. But if you just want to hit that 250hp range go with the c1 like everyone is saying
[post=368100]Quoted post[/post]​

yea sorry i missed that typo ... i meant the C5 ... money isnt really an issue since i dont really have any bills or debts to pay ... but it seems harder to find a good swap with the B18C1 or 5 than the H22a ... anyone know of a good online company besides ebay and all that junk?

www.hmotorsonline.com i still say use the H22. seriously. TORQUE! besides, its hella cheaper. type-s pistons and an h22 will be nice and quick. adjust spring rate accordingly and you are fine. everyone does a GSR. eh. do an LS/vtec for the money and boost it. and stick with the lower CR pistons. you will have more power in the end with a slightly lower CR and more boost. well top end anyways.

Originally posted by nismogod@Jul 26 2004, 03:31 PM
www.hmotorsonline.com i still say use the H22. seriously. TORQUE! besides, its hella cheaper. type-s pistons and an h22 will be nice and quick. adjust spring rate accordingly and you are fine. everyone does a GSR. eh. do an LS/vtec for the money and boost it. and stick with the lower CR pistons. you will have more power in the end with a slightly lower CR and more boost. well top end anyways.
[post=368317]Quoted post[/post]​

yea im considering the H22a too ... i do want something a little bigger than the 1.8 just to build off of ... a friend of mine had a 2000 prelude si and that thing was fast with all the shit he did to it ... im just imagining that in a little 92 CX hatch ... :D

(taken from another post in the forums)

"The H22A is found in Prelude VTEC's and JDM Accord's. This engine comes with 190-220 horsepower and is not considered a great candidate for Civic's and Integra's because of its larger size and weight. Hasport and other companies are making a mount kit for this engine but the geometry of the car is changed dramatically. (The engine and transmission are 85lbs heavier than a GSR motor) However, with the right suspension and some weight reduction the front end can be lightened to the point where the car will be drivable. The benefit's from this engine is its increased low end torque. Unfortunately its very difficult to retain air conditioning and room in the engine bay is at a minimum. Plus, the H-series engines have a poor rod/stroke ratio which translates into less revving capability and less potential with high end horsepower. Overall, this swap is not recommended although it can be done.

anyone agree with that statement ... ?

Originally posted by H22AdelSol@Jul 26 2004, 07:16 AM
Actually there is a thread over on honda-tech i think it is where some guy weighed out b series vs h22 and it was NOWHERE near 85lbs, as i remember, it was closer to 20lbs but go look for yourself.
[post=368104]Quoted post[/post]​

I have read that thread, and its a retarded. He basicly weighed and guessed on parts, and didn't even compare 2 complete full swaps with.

if you want NA and don't want to open up the motor I would go with a JDM R motor preferably with the 4.785 final drive.

if you want to boost, I would honeslty go with a GSR motor and then make the necessary upgrades from that point.

i know it's not one of your choices but...

my thought is...if you have the money then go k20A! :worthy:

i'm pretty sure there will be a smile afterwards...just do the research!

but this is just one opinion!

I wouldn't do the H22 for a daily driver. go to www.hasport.com(Instructions) and look at all the mods you have to do. it's Insane. + good luck taking tight corners. go with the K20 if you got the loot

Originally posted by importjdmcivic@Jul 26 2004, 02:34 AM
going for the boost means i want lower comp right?

not necessarily... a higher cr with boost will be more difficult to tune , but will turn out more power than a lower cr with boost...
[post=368092]Quoted post[/post]​

so you are saying that i can run 8 psi of boost on a stock b16 engine where the cr is like 10.4:1?? i was told to go down to 8.8:1

Back