Overheated, split heater hose, wont start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MMorrisey7

Im not sure but shouldnt the car still start even if the heater hose is broke?

is it possible that i overheated it way too much? but it stills acts like it wants to start, so i dont think the engine is locked up...

Car should start, but you shouldn't start it.. Running a water pump dry is a great way to destroy it.

Depending on how hot the engine was, you could have fried some sensors or the dizzy.. or damaged the plugs/wires.. or warped the head, blah blah blah, the list goes on and on. And hondas really don't enjoy air bubbles in their cooling systems and can make the car run poorly.. So having it evacuated is probably part of your problem.

Any idea why it overheated in the first place? That could be a great place to start looking for why it is currently not running..

i believe the hose has been leaking for a while now because i checked the radiator a while back and noticed it was empty and the resovoir was very very low. so i bought some 50/50 and filled it up. a week later i noticed the resovoir was empty again so i filled it again. i think the hole in the hose just got bigger for some reason and the engine wasnt getting coolant. I was on the highway and my heat wasnt hot. Then i noticed my check engine light on and the temp gauge all the way up. It didnt feel any different driving it so I figured I could make it home. I did notice a jingling type sound coming from the front left of the car as i was driving. Sometimes it was louder and sometimes I could barely hear it. Well I got to my exit, started to pull over to the side and saw the white "smoke" coming out of the hood. I turned the ignition off and the car kept running. I put it in first and let the clutch go cuz i really didnt know it was still going to be running, well that killed the engine so i popped the hood and let it cool off. Towed it home and tried to start it but wouldnt turn over. So I think the coolant leak was why it overheated...

im 100% sure you did damage.... for future reference dont drive the car when the temp gauge is spiked. any number of things could be wrong now. take it to a mechanic. sounds like its time for a new engine.

well i replaced the hose that had a hole in it. Obviously that didn't make it start. I took off the distributor cap and there was moisture in it. There is also water on my spark plugs. I took them out and turned the ignition and has water shooting out. Mostly out of the 2nd hole from the left.

Back