overheating hub?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

I don't know if the pad is dragging, or what. The boot was ripped but patched(grease looks to be leaking) My car makes a loud squealing noise when turning a little, not all the time though. I can smell burning grease. Anyways, the wheel gets VERY hot; smoking coming out, etc. would a dried up CV joint do this or is it the brake pad dragging? The other side is fine.

re-fill the boot with grease and wrap it with duct tape

i've never seen an axle cause burning/hot hubs
sounds like your caliper is stuck or your brake line is collapsed

you would need some serious CV friction to make enough heat to warm the hub...
you sure its not wheel bearings?
and sort of squeek do you have?
did you try and wiggle the wheel? up and down/right and left?

wheel bearing sounds like a good place to start....thats why we keep recked around.

I didn't wiggle the wheel, but on the highway i noticed sometimes the steering wheel vibrates. The squeal is high pitch; sounds like the brake wear indicator(but I have a good amount of pad left). The sound usually comes when turning.

When this happened to me w/my old civic it was because the caliper had seized. Same symptoms you are describing except the smoke.

Smoke was from some of the grease probably. Alright I really hope its just the brakes.

Thanks guys!

I vote for:
Axle nut fell off/axle broke, you didn't notice, the wheelbearing went bad, wheel is sitting crooked and making the brakes stick at an angle to the rotor and causing smoke... flashbackxxxxx
Good luck dude.

Back