overheating in -22C

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

khrisb

I think I'm fucked. I was driving home from my shit 3rd shift job about 45 mins ago, when I noticed my temperature gauge was pegged at H. I was already almost home by the time I noticed (still no heat coming out of the vents...), so I just said screw it and drove the rest of the 5 miles.
The motor was pinging like hell, but I'm guessing thats just because it was mad hot. It seems to be running ok. I couldn't tell if I had white smoke coming out the tailpipe.
I'm assuming it had water in the coolant system and not coolant/antifreeze and the water froze. I opened the hood when I got home and steam was coming out of the radiator and I'm pretty sure near the distributor. I'm going to go out later and get a new thermostat and some coolant.

So, my question is....Am I fuxorz? Think I'll need to do a head gasket? I sure hope not. Sorry if this is ramblish, I've been up for a while. 3rd shift sux.

dur de dur!!! It's supposed to say -12C. Thats what I get for trying to leave out my boy Fahrenheit.

Last edited:
well at that point there no way of telling unless you fill her up and look for the trouble spot,just fill her up and see if she leaks

Same shit just happened to me this morning. I think temp was around 20 degress. But yea, overheating. I poured some antifreeze in there(50/50), and it helped out a bit. I'm just going to change the thermostat and fluid later though, just to be on the safe side.

well looks like everything is ok after some antifreeze. I noticed some oil on the front of the engine, but I'm pretty sure it's always done that. hope i lucked out...

well, the hg is gone. coolant is pissing down the front of the block. I'm boned. I might be ok just to drive around with a gallon of water with me. Anybody know of any cheap temporary fix? We just moved and I don't really have the money to do a head gasket and head machining right now.

jb weld it yo!

jp man. Your just gonna have to change it. Should be a sat. job no problem. If you have a friend it will go much faster

it's not as expensive as I remember. I found a whole gasket set on ebay for like 30 bux plus shipping. It's for a d16a6, but the bore is the same and I remember reading that the b1 head is the same cast as the a6, so I guess it'll work. Now I have to drive my wife's rustang to my shit 3rd shift assembly job until I can get this fixed...wonderful...

Overheating, no heat from your vents and steaming from the radiator fluid resevoir is indeed all signs of head gasket failure. If you keep driving it, it will start to smoke heavily as the gasket gets worse. Do the head gasket and flush the cooling system. Change the thermostat as well.

fixed for 50 bux in parts. no machine shop for me! it sucked driving the wife's rustang to work for a month-ish

boyah!

Back