1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overheating issues

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by B18CBeast, Jul 26, 2003.

1. B18CBeast

B18CBeast Junior Member

Just got my B18C motor in my 92 hatch, ready to go but I have been having cooling problems. I let it idle last night for 10 minutes to warm up and took it out. The thermostat was fine for a while until I hit VTEC then it just climbed like crazy and the check engine light came on. Fan works, no coolant leaks. I'm lost and need a ride for work and school. Thanks.

2. deth101

deth101 Senior Member

when its warmed up can u feel heat in both upper and lower rad hoses,when was your last flush?sure the therm is good..put it in a pot of water and boil, check w/thermoter when it pops/opens to see if its good.

3. ksrcivic

ksrcivic Senior Member

This might sound kinda wierd, but check ur oil, pull the dipstick and check to see if u have coolant in the oil pan, if u do then u have a blown head gasket or a crack in the block, this is a problem i had to deal with on 3 different turbo cars that were over boosting and blew their head gaskets, every one complained of a similar occurance, no coolant leaks, thermo works fine, but they were over heating with no sings of why. One of these problems happened to my own civic when i had the turbo on my EX, anyway hope this helps.

4. dohch22a4

dohch22a4 Senior Member

Shortly after I finished the B18C swap into my '92 VX hatch, I noticed an overheating problem, although not quite as severe as yours. If I ran the car for more than a few minutes at idle the needle would climb like a motherfucker. I got so fed up with it that I sourced a four-core radiator from a '94 Accord EX and wedged it in with some minor fabrication. Beware, you can't have A/C with a large unit like this, but I had already yanked out my A/C unit when I did the swap. If you want to keep your air, just get a better radiator from a Del Sol VTEC or an aftermarket one like a Fluidyne.

Of course, you could have a blown head gasket or a cracked block. Bad news bears! Walter Matthou!

5. 97CTR

97CTR Senior Member

don't overlook the simple things too, is there enough coolant. that should be the first thing you should check if you haven't.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted