Overheating problem 94 honda civic dx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

inked

I am thinking its the head gasket but just want some input.

My GF just got her car bacck from the shop about a month ago she had to have a new distributor (before I knew her). The car ran fine for a couple of weeks then it just overheated on her at highway speeds on the way home from work. Since then it overheats. Its usually good for a day or two with her driving back and forth to work (about 50 miles). I have checked the fans (and seen them operate), changed the thermostat and the coolant sensor(thought it might not be turning the fan on soon enough). Last night I went out and bleed the system again for about a hour it ran without overheating. What I did notice and why I think its a head gasket is the bleeder would always have air bubbling out even after the hour. I also noticed if I gave the motor a quick rev (nothing crazy just a little punch) the coolant would either come up out of the radiator or if I had the cap on would shoot into the overflow. So what I am thinking is after a day or so over normal driving the coolant is being pushed out of the system and it overheats.

There is no white smoke or water in the oil.

Do a compression check that should tell you if you have a bad head gasket. by what your describing it sounds very possible.

Might be a clogged up radiator. If fluid is shooting into the resivoir when you rev it..

Could be a bad radiator cap letting the air in as well..

Anything unusual coming out of the exhaust? Sweet smell? Steam?

Might be a clogged up radiator. If fluid is shooting into the resivoir when you rev it..

Could be a bad radiator cap letting the air in as well..

Anything unusual coming out of the exhaust? Sweet smell? Steam?

No nothing comming out of exhaust. If I rev the motor slightly I get water comming up out of the radiator. Like I said I cant get all the air out of the system either. I opened the bleeder and I still have air a hour later.

Thanks for both of your replies.

start with a compression test, if compression is good inspect the entire cooling system(hoses fittings etc) , if all is well there do a complete drain and a chemical flush follwed by fresh coolent...

Back