overheating problems?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i just recently brought my car to a local auto shop to get my H22 put into my 93 accord ex.. i only paid 500 for the total swap, but i guess the saying goes you get what u pay for. one of the many problems with the car that im having is it keeps overheating at idle....i let the car sit for a little while and the car will begin to overheat. i bought a new thermostat, and i know the radiator is good cuz i never had this problem before with my old motor and my fans only seem to kick on when the car is off but they do work. i asked the guy who did the car for me and he said that theres a temp sensor that might be bad so he took the one off of ym old motor and put in on the H22 and the over heating had stop and 3 days later (today) the overheating started up again. i dont know what else it could be but its overheating under a long period of idling and when i drive it under extreme conditions

That's wierd. I swear, my fans barely ever come on. Even in 70+ weather, I never hear them. Even when I drive the car hard.

The couple of times that my temperature guage went above it's normal range were when my radiator popped and when the radiator hose popped. I have to literally lose coolant to start getting hot. My car warms up normally, and the needle sticks at 1/3 of the way up the normal range.

If your fans are coming on, and the car is still hot, then I'd have your coolant flushed, and the lines backflushed. I really doubt that this is your mechanics' fault, unless he is fucking with you on the thermostat thing.

Just buy a thermostat and put it in yourself. <$20. Make sure that the thermostat is the right one for your car. An H23 thermostat is not the same size. You can test your thermostat while it is out. Simply boil a pot of water(212 degrees), and drop in the thermostat for tens seconds or so. If the spring doesn't open the valve, then you know it's bad.

whats happening is that ill have the car at idle for about 20-25 mins and it wont necessarily overheat, it just seems like the needle is above the average heat point. now if i drive it for a little while...maybe bout a half an hour, the temp will slowly raise and continue to get hot but the needle will stay a little below the overheat point and ill turn the car off and let it sit for like 2 mins and then it will go back to normal after 2 minutes. cant really figure it out but...could it be the temp sensor is bad?

$100 says that this is the following problem:

Open your hood and follow the uppermost radiator hose back to the engine. On the neck of the outlet where the hose connects to the engine. If there's no sensor on that neck there's your problem. EX has the a fan-timer box..without that low-temp sensor the fans won't come on (if it's not there go to a junkyard and pull the outlet off of another f22 if you don't have your old engine). Additionally check that the other temp. plug has been plugged into the thermostat. If not jump the connection.

I never got around to extending my wires and jumped the fucking thing... now my fans run 100% of the time...which is good!

let me know.

Originally posted by sleepn_accord@Jan 11 2005, 10:43 PM
I never got around to extending my wires and jumped the fucking thing... now my fans run 100% of the time...which is good!
[post=444482]Quoted post[/post]​

That what I did too. :D

I had a problem when the jumper fell out, and I was climbing up Pikes Peak in the Accord to watch the Hill Climb. I had to pull over into the pits and refill my radiator and reservoir, while all of the racers were looking at me like :blink:

Originally posted by sleepn_accord@Jan 12 2005, 12:43 AM

Open your hood and follow the uppermost radiator hose back to the engine. On the neck of the outlet where the hose connects to the engine. If there's no sensor on that neck there's your problem. EX has the a fan-timer box..without that low-temp sensor the fans won't come on (if it's not there go to a junkyard and pull the outlet off of another f22 if you don't have your old engine). Additionally check that the other temp. plug has been plugged into the thermostat. If not jump the connection.

let me know.

Or you could just use the F22 waterneck. I didn't rewire anything on that.

Originally posted by sleepn_accord@Jan 12 2005, 12:43 AM

let me know.

well the fans are deffiantely hooked because if the car begins to overheat and i shut the car off the fans kick on but i really dont hear them kicking on at all when the cars running so i really dont kno. but the thing is, the car only overheats when i let it idle for a long period of time...(maybe 20-25 mins at least) and i try to start the car everyday and let it sit and run cuz its off the road. the antifreeze is full and the oil is at proper lever so im kinda stumped. i did what u said and there was some kinda sensor back there and it was attached to a green plug that was infact plugged into whatever is on the end on the upper radiator hose :shrug2:

Wait.....Do the fans kick on AFTER you shut the car off, or are they running while the car is on as well? If they only run when the car is off, you've got one of the two old Accord fans switch plugs from the harness plugged in to the incorrect location.

yea thats exactly whats happening.. the fans will not come on at all when the car is running or when it is overheating but they will come on when the car is turned off and only the fan closer to the passenger is the fan that comes on not the other so only 1 of the 2 fans are working

Well, try plugging in the other fan switch plug, and then jumpering the plug which will not be attached to anything.

Back