overheating?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

charlesb2003

hey guys! i just bought my girlfriend's 93 civic dx. it's a really nice car, low miles, but the head gasket blew on it once before and her ex-bf fixed it. well, i don't think he did too good of a job, and it's ok because i'm gonna be doing a mini-me head swap to it soon and i can straighten it all out then, but for now, it's running a little hot. not to the red, but above the middle, and i know that's not normal on any honda. i tried flushing the coolant and refilling with 50/50 honda premix, and it doesn't do much good. there are no bubbles in the system, i bled it out for 20 minutes from the bleed valve and let it run and kept adding till there were no more bubbles. when i come to a stop, it goes to normal range (just below half) but the minute i hit the gas, it starts moving. it never reaches the red, but it moves up and down a lot. there was some gook in the overflow and around the cap, i hope leftovers from the bhg, but the coolant i drained was fairly clean. i cleaned the overflow and the cap and so far, no more gook. any guesses?

pull your plugs & an try to start your car, if u see a water-foutain show, there's your answer=cracked/warped head or still blown head gasket.

I would check you thermostat. It is either bad or is stuck. I have had that problem before....but mine shot to the top of the red.

T-stat

sounds like it maybe stuck open a little, flowing to fast to cool, and make sure the bleed hole is up when you put it in.

Back