Overheats in Stop and Go

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

05X

My car overheats in stop and go traffic. The temp needle goes up if I'm just idling. However, as soon as I put it in gear and move forward, the temp needle goes back down to normal temp pretty fast. It never overheats when I'm cruising on the freeway. What's up with that? I notice that I do lose a little coolant in the overflow tank, and I just replaced the thermostat with an OEM Honda one. But, it still overheats. Any ideas on how to fix it? Is there an air bubble in the system or something? Please help.

what kinda honda do you have noob?

could be an air bubble in the system. or you are low on coolant.

Sorry, I have a 1999 Honda Civic with an LS swap. The radiator seems to be filled to the top. I'm also running a fatter radiator (Koyo).

probably a blown headgasket.

go to a shop and do a leakdown check.

first off make sure fan comes on when the car gets to regular running temperature....if it doesnt then there your problem ...if it is it would be a wiring problem or a temperature sensor....it could also be a few other things like radiator cap not holdon down the pressur, could be rust in the piping thats pushing coolant into the resevoir and overflowing it, could be air pockets in your radiator.....make sure you try to burp the system too that might help..if u see continueous bubles comin out overflowing the radiator then u have a blown headgasket..... good luck keep us updated...

I have the same problem with my Accord cause one fan took a shit. but if i keep the A/C on it normally wont overheat cause it makes my other fan stay on. try it out.

It's definitely not the fan because it turns on when the car starts to overheat. I have a feeling that it could be an air bubble inside. What's an easy way to get it out? Leave the radiator cap off and let the car idle? Also, do you think the temp guage needle is messed up for some reason (fuse maybe)? I tell you, as soon as the car moves a little while in gear, the temp guage goes down pretty fast. Also, I have a Greddy radiator cap.

Well you wont overheat much while driving cause of the air flow, but check for leaks, maybe get a flush and change the thermostat. If you still overheat move to the head gasket (Oil smell funny or cloudy, loss of power, white exhaust?).

the fans running but still overheats? yea id try a new head gasket dude...how exactly does the car run? drives fine but just runs hot while idling?

It could have an air bubble or as someone else mentioned leaking rad cap. Both will cause it to overheat. Do you have the stock rad cap still? Try it if so. I bought a cheap Ebay rad once and the cap wasnt sealing properly. Car never cooled properly, took the rad out right away, problem solved.

There is a bleeder valve/screw near the upper radiator hose. Just loosen it when its running and close i back up when air stops coming out. Just don't loosen it up too much since it will spray.

My car runs fine... Except for sometimes when i shut it off and start it back up it shoots a poof of White/Grey smoke and wont start unless i let it sit a minute. But yea also if i sit in stop and go traffic it will overheat if the A/C isn't on.

my car does the same exact thing!!! I just figure my shit is about to blow up and am just waiting for it to. I already got the new motor lol

Hehehe. Thread jacking? Well, at least his problem is similar. When I took the Greddy radiator cap, it popped so I think it had a good seal. No white smoke, the car runs and idles fine. It just overheats. I haven't flushed it. How exactly do you flush it? I did change the coolant. :(

Also, turning on the heater or AC doesn't do anything. The temp guage just keeps climbing at idle. I just changed the thermostat to a brand new one from the Honda dealership. I doubt it's the thermostat. Even if I move a little (less than 5mph) while the car is in gear, I can see that damn needle drop so fast.

Last edited:
Back