Overheats in Stop and Go

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

when the car is off and cools down for like 15-20 minutes check coolant level and see where's its at?? if u still have the amount of coolant than theres a clog somewhere...but if your coolant lown then your burning coolant so u need a new gasket for sure...also check the spark plugs to see if its wet or if u smell coolant on it...

Does the radiator fan come on at all? It sounds like either your fan doesn't come on at all, or it is going bad.

when the car is off and cools down for like 15-20 minutes check coolant level and see where's its at?? if u still have the amount of coolant than theres a clog somewhere...but if your coolant lown then your burning coolant so u need a new gasket for sure...also check the spark plugs to see if its wet or if u smell coolant on it...

The spark plugs wont be wet or smell like coolant, they will be clean, not like new clean, but cleaner than normal because water breaks up carbon.

The radiator fan is working properly. It always turns on when the temp rises. It's been kinda warm lately so the overheating is more noticeable. I think I am burning coolant because my overflow tank always seem to be low.

is your fan blowing the right direction? air should be blowing towards the engine..i had this problem for days and found out that i swapped the wires around.

anyways my guess would be:
1. air bubbles (bleed system)
2. fan not blowing right direction (flip flop the two wires)
3. water pump? not cycling?
4. worst case scenerio blown/leaking headgasket

The low coolant would have been very important to finding your problem earlier. Sounds a lot like a bad hg. You might be able to do a leakdown and see some bubbles in your radiator opening.

Sorry about the bad news, hg are pretty expensive to have done, but pretty cheap if you do it yourself.

Back