Overload

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Prowler

Super Moderator
College starts Monday, and I got a new schedule that is freaking me out a little bit.

Monday ---> Friday 8AM - 4PM with no breaks in between except a short lunch during a three hour class.

Then I work or have other obligations every night of the week. My work schedule is 5PM - 11PM. I'm also trying to fit in an online English class that has daily assignments due. That is probably the worst part.

One computer class has a huge book (~1000) where several hundred pages are covered each week, and it is done in 8 weeks.

I won't even have time to breathe. Kinda stressed out a bit. Seems a bit of an overload for a new freshman at a state college.

My course is Information Systems Analysis (AAS) and right now I'm at 19 credits.

How have others here dealt with similiar schedules?

eh... I've done work schedules of 7:30 am - 5pm, gotten off work, slept for 4 hours, got up gone to work from 10:30-7 am, taken a shower and gone back to work 7:30-5 again... 5 days a week.

Just two months ago I was working 10:45-4 then 5-10:30 and then 10:45-12 only to do it again the next day, I'd do that for 3 days a week, and then I'd work 9-9 on Fridays.

I know how you're going to feel.... but once you get used to the lack of sleep it doesn't hit you as hard.

Originally posted by Havok@Aug 21 2004, 08:34 AM
I wouldn't have done more than 12...you will drop 2-3, or fail them, trust me.
[post=380007]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeap 12 Credits is max you should take your first semester....College is not high school.....they could give a shit whether you show up for class or not or whether you did your homework.....Your gonna end up dropping some class's....

I took 16 units first semester, and that was a mistake even though I passed them all it was just way too much effort to party and go to all those classes.
So drop a class or two and relax a bit it is freshman year, it is all down hill after this year. Goddamn I miss freshman year, it was so much fun. I drank more than I thought was humanly possible, I got more tail than I thought was humanly possibly, and more shnanigans went down than I ever imagined. Honestly one of the best years of my life if not the best, it was a 6-7 night a week party first semseter, and a 5-6 night a week party second semester. Now it is a 1 night a week party 2 if I am lucky.

15 credits is about right. But your load just takes up too many hours. You're screwed if you need to study. Then again, it all depends on how hard the classes are. I always tried to balance out a hard class with a couple easier ones. That works out a lot better than an extremely hard workload for one quarter then an easy quarter.

i did online credit classes.

ill take 2-3 classes in my freshmen year to finish up my 2yr degree in computer science - spending FAR LESS than the normal community college student.

<---college freshman too

i'm going to a private school=$26,000 /yr. they do tri-mesters at Johnson & Wales University. 18 credit hours each trimester. 4 classes. each class is ~ 1.5 hours. i have my freshman year almost taken care of credit-wise, because i took college classes during my junior AND senior years in high school. i'll be working around 15-20 hours/week. but i'm going to check if i can take maybe 1 less class for at least a while.

we had J&WU reps at my highschool. what a bunch of jerks.
and what a rip of for school.

they have one of the best international business programs in the world. i decided to go there since U of Hawaii at Manoa never even acknowleged (sp?) that i had sent my application and my transcripts (which were WAY above what they required to get in). fucking assholes. i might go there for graduate school though. Hawaii is the international business capital of the world. that's why i wanted to go there. plus it's fucking HAWAII

Originally posted by Callidus@Aug 21 2004, 03:37 PM
they have one of the best international business programs in the world. i decided to go there since U of Hawaii at Manoa never even acknowleged (sp?) that i had sent my application and my transcripts (which were WAY above what they required to get in). fucking assholes. i might go there for graduate school though. Hawaii is the international business capital of the world. that's why i wanted to go there. plus it's fucking HAWAII
[post=380082]Quoted post[/post]​

Hawaii would be nice.

I love your sig. :lol:

i took 15 ot 16 (some calsses were 4 credits) every semester except one, where i took 18.

i failed 3 classes on the 18 semester.

oh, and i didn't work like at all during college (jsut saved all summer)

drop one. seriously.

my first semester i took 17 credits. then i dropped a class cause it was too much shit. drop a cluster course or something.

I did 6 classes my last semester, one of which was an independent study, and it was a bitch. I got lucky and the professor overseeing my indep study let me take an incomplete so I could have a few weeks to finish the project so I could concentrate on my other classes. You will end up dropping one class, there is no need to take this many your first semester. Get used to school first and have some fun. Remember a lot of the people you see always havign a good time partying everynight won't be there the 2nd semester.

i'm going to get my transcripts first and see if i'm registered for some classes that i don't need. but i think i'm going to drop a class. each class is 4.5 credit hours, and they're 1hour 50min long. i'd be in class from 10 to 5:50 every monday and wednesday with 10 minutes in between each class.

10-11.50 "principles of marketing" (i'll need this one)

12-1.50 "intro to computers" (always good to take computer classes)

2-3.50 "intro to life science" (i doubt i'll need this one)

4-5.50 "intro to literary genres" (i doubt i'll need this one too)

i've taken 3 semesters of college English already. i've taken 2 semesters of a sophomore Chemistry class (lab & lecture) i got A's all year. i've taken 4 semesters of college math. 2semesters of college trig & 2semesters of calculus

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

hmmm

this is a tough call...

the best advice i can give you is TIME MANAGMENT...
best thing you can do is give your self a written schedule... seriously...
they say 3 hours of home work/study time for each credit hour...
so 3 credit class = 9 hours of homework...
but you can always get away with less...

you may want to reconsider if its your first semester
if you are going away to school then the first semester is where you'll meet most of the people you will know the rest of your college career, its important that you get friends and know as many people as you can, networking...
its not what you know, but who you know...

you will most likely have to sacrafice study time from some of your classes to keep up with the harder ones...
learn to recognize the hard ones vs. the easy ones very quickly as you will need to make judgement calls about which courses get the most study time...

NOTE: i listened to NONE of the above suggestions, had fun and passed all my classes..

also KNOW the last day you can drop a class without it going on your record... its usually after the first test, so if you bomb, you either drop it, or sentence yourself to hell the rest of the semester to get the grade up...

PROFESSORS are a huge deciding factor, some are easy and others are hard...
this is where the knowing people comes in handy, ALWAYS ask about a prof. before you sign up for their class... it will safe you a lot of hardship...

Back