1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p0172 and p0170 please help, b18c swap

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by bEJic, Jul 17, 2012.

1. bEJic

bEJic New Member

Hello folks, I currently bought a civic with a b18c swap and thusfar i have not been able to finish registering this car because it wont pass smog (CA).
    p0170-fuel trim malfunction
    p0172-system too rich bank 1

I have been trouble shooting this problem for a while now and am completely stuck.

Its running with a P73 A03 b18c5 ecu since the jdm one from the original swap wont connect to an obd2 scanner.

Oxygen sensors read ok

Throttle pos. sensor and manifold abs. press. both ok

All 4 injectors read right under 12ohms (11.8-11.9ohms)

Fuel pressure read ok around 49psi with regulator pinched then increased unpinched

I checked valve lash and IN 0.006in EX 0.007in which should be ok

I changed fuel filter

That is why I dont know what to do anymore. The only thing I know this swap is missing is the BARO sensor yet I havent had any luck finding this at the junkyard.

2. bEJic

bEJic New Member

bump

3. CAFROG

CAFROG Honda Minion VIP

Could be injector(s)....but I know the code means usually running rich. My go to is the O2 or MAP but you say they're good.

You are getting a JDM B18C BAR'd w/Type R ECU in CA?

EDIT: please inform us if these codes are still present with the JDM ECU. they can be checked. I read a thread on it once.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  4. bEJic

bEJic New Member

Thanks for the response. Its already BAR'd.
    I just replaced both O2 sensors and got another MAP from a 98 Integra B18B1 from the junkyard. Both Maps registered between 7.5"-9.0" Hg at idle. Which according to the manual if they are below 12"Hg its ok.

I swap the JDM B18C ecu yet when I connect it to the scanner there is an error. The scanner states that connection cannot be established.

5. bEJic

bEJic New Member

When I do use the JDM ecu though the codes don't come up neither does the CEL light.

6. bEJic

bEJic New Member

spark plugs are fowled by the way but since they are ngk iridium im a little weary about going and buying a new set

7. CAFROG

CAFROG Honda Minion VIP

Iridium are not necessary. Regular NGK's are great.

Don't JDM B18c's run without a VTEC oil pressure sensor? But USDM look for them?
    Not saying this is your issue but food for thought.

Many guys say that the bank one code could be a bad ECU. Can you locate and try a OBD2 P72 ECU?

8. bEJic

bEJic New Member

I might be able to borrow a p75 obd2.

I have a b18c block with p72 head so that takes care of the VTEC oil pressure sensor.

9. bEJic

bEJic New Member

:mellow:

Ok, so I forgot to mention that I up-graded the cooling system with a Mishimoto radiator, thermostat and cooling fan.

This is the last darn thing I thought to check. Reading over the service manual it states that the switch should reach 196-203F to engage the cooling fan. Currently my fan will kick on right around 178F. :mad: Did I cause my own demise

I will find out soon

10. bEJic

bEJic New Member

I meant cooling fan switch.....

11. CAFROG

CAFROG Honda Minion VIP

P75 is no good. It's non VTEC

P72 is a GSR ECU

What do you mean the VTEC oil pressure sensor is fine b/c it's a P72 head? JDM B18C is a P72 head too (excluding the ITR P73 that's also a JDM B18C-R) USDM had the oil pressure sensor and JDM did not. Same cast head from the factory.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted