P06 Vs. P28

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

P7ank5te7

Hey All,
Just a stupid question. I am pretty good with electronics, so my stupid question is, would it be in my interest to get a P06 and add the vtec components to it, to convert it to a P28 since I will be adding the hondata s300 system for tuning purposes since I will be going with a boosted setup and want to have my old ecu as a spare back up. I know this sounds stupid as all get out, but I have a tendency to have stuff break on me and don't want to be left stranded either. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks -Gary

Welcome to www.moates.net! : Moates.Net makes a $16 kit that you can solder into a P28 or P06 ECU. It chipped your ECU but then yuo have to get a tuning software like Crome or Uberdata or Hondata.

HONDA1 - Honda ECU Chipping Kit [HONDA1] - $16.00 : Moates.Net

Or this is what I think is a better ieda.

I bought a chipped P06 today off of eBay for $140 shipped. Really nice guy, knows his stuff and he tunes it for you ready to go into your car. He uses Moates kit.

ODB1 P28 P72 P30 P75 ECU VTEC Chipped Integra Civic - (eBay.ca item 280286982525 end time 25-Nov-08 21:11:52 EST)

Last edited:
Nevermind I get what you are saying now. Yeah I'd go for a P06 and take your time if you break stuff.

I figured, the cost a P06, is greatly reduced and supply is high, and all it is a non-vtec P28. It can be upgraded/up converted to a P28 for cheap and if I mess it up getting it prepped, oh stinking well, I wasted a little money trying something new. So the idea wouldn't be bad you think? Thanks -Gary

So I've got another stupid question about this logic I have with this. So I have the option of the P06 or the P28. I got to thinking about it, thought, I might want to go with the P28 because the base map already on it. If I wanted to prep it for chipping but run it stock, would I just have to make sure J1 wasn't jumped at that point? I've been looking around for info on J1 and what it exactly does, and after finding that, it looks like to me, that it just voids out the chip in there when connected to it, to read 0 or a negative voltage rather than 5 volts. Can someone verify this for me, as I want to get the ECU ready for chipping but still haven't gotten my spare motor built as of yet and would like it to be able to run my stock one till then, without waiting to chip it out. Thanks -Gary

You're right. Hooking up J1 uses the chip that you installed. Leaving it open makes the ECU act "stock".

Do po6 converted to v-tec it's a lot cheaper but you will have to source conversion parts for V-tec. Hondata supplies the parts for S300 installation or you can always get the one I have for sale in my 4 sale thread. I have a P72 Obd-1 Gsr ecu with Hondata S300.

Good Luck either way you decide to go, Peace!

I understand. I'm currently exploring all options available to me. I would like to have the P28 to do the hondata on because of capability to put it back to factory or run a tuned chip. Things I am looking at, is price, and capability to do this. The P28 is a little more expensive, but already has the factory tune on it. The P06 is cheaper and easier to mod for VTEC, and chip out. Both would need the circuitry added for the IAB port to be active. The only down fall of the P06 is, I don't have a chip burner to put a stock program on a chip for the P06. So I'm currently debating on what I want to do, while I get my new trans into the car to replace my broken one.

You could buy the chipping kits with a P28 map already on it, I think it's like $12 or $15 extra(from Xenocron).

Which Hondata are you planning on running? The S200 and older use a chip burner or emulator; the box just hooks up to the CN2 port and you still have your regular chip/socket setup. This means you could revert to a P28 setup with Hondata.

True. I was looking at the S300, this way, no chips involved. Everything on board and ready to roll. I would like to get the ECU tho, and get it prepped to put the S300 in. This is why I verified about the J1 being the control from stock to chipped and back again.

Last edited:
Back