P1457 code help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok, Over the winter I swapped in a JDM 2nd gen B16a into my 98 LX, and I used the civic si ecu. Well It runs great but I got a check engine light. So I bought the OBD2 scanner, becasue at first I thought it was the code 9. But it was 90 or P1457, emission canister area leak.. But before I did the swap i bought the helms 96-00 civic manual. So I did every fucking step the book says to do. And everything is fine, I put Hose clamps on all the hoses and all the valves in the system open and close(click), (canister shut off valve, purge control vlave, and bypass valve). So I went to honda and there service department is open the same time I work, and they are not open on the weekeneds. So I talked to the head mechanic, I said I did evrything the books says and soemthing is still fucked up. He said I need to leave my car for a day. I said No way, A whole day times, $78 a labor hour, I said forget it. I told him the most i'll pay is for one hour, he said I can't gaurantee I will find the problem in an hour(bullshit). So I told him that I did the engine swap myself, and usually I fix problems on my own. But this one has me stomped. But before I told him what code I was getting, I said it was the code with the leak at the charcole canister, he said "oh P1457", I said yes, and I now that I am not the only one that comes in here with this problem, Becasue I did a search the other day on yahoo and found a ton of people with the same P1457, but noone nows what the problem is, so I said what is the most common thing you replace when you get a customer with this code, he said he can't say becuase it can be anything. I was like come on This is a common problem with accords and civics. And I didn't have this problem before the swap and the swap wouldn't effect any of the emission bulshit . I mean this is complete bullshit, Honda dealerships are TRUE Motherfuckers, How can it be "anything" If alot of civics and accords have the problem then the problem part is probably the same for evryone , and the whole system doesn't have that many differnt parts. I told him i put hose clamps on and that I replaced the bypass valve along with the 2 way valve near the gas tank, so thats 3 less things it can be. And the mother fucker still can' give me some advice. Fuck that Son of a Bitch, he can eat a fat mother fucking dick. So Of course just like any other honda problem i come to the forums in hope for answers. Did anyone have this code before? If so what was the problem?. Its so aggrevating, i did a swap, it runs beautifully, but some stupid fuckin emission system, is gonna get on my nerve. I would do OBD1 but Now in NY they are gonna be doing the OBD2 scanner plug in at inspections( they started June 1st)I passed inspection before june but I just wanna get this fixed.. This emissions is fucking garbage. This problem is not my fault, honda should address this, FUCK EMISSIONS... Anyway If some one had this problem before please let me now whats wrong!! THANKS

Originally posted by hondadriver@Jun 9 2004, 08:13 PM
Ok, Over the winter I swapped in a JDM 2nd gen B16a into my 98 LX, and I used the civic si ecu. Well It runs great but I got a check engine light. So I bought the OBD2 scanner, becasue at first I thought it was the code 9. But it was 90 or P1457, emission canister area leak.. But before I did the swap i bought the helms 96-00 civic manual. So I did every fucking step the book says to do. And everything is fine, I put Hose clamps on all the hoses and all the valves in the system open and close(click), (canister shut off valve, purge control vlave, and bypass valve). So I went to honda and there service department is open the same time I work, and they are not open on the weekeneds. So I talked to the head mechanic, I said I did evrything the books says and soemthing is still fucked up. He said I need to leave my car for a day. I said No way, A whole day times, $78 a labor hour, I said forget it. I told him the most i'll pay is for one hour, he said I can't gaurantee I will find the problem in an hour(bullshit). So I told him that I did the engine swap myself, and usually I fix problems on my own. But this one has me stomped. But before I told him what code I was getting, I said it was the code with the leak at the charcole canister, he said "oh P1457", I said yes, and I now that I am not the only one that comes in here with this problem, Becasue I did a search the other day on yahoo and found a ton of people with the same P1457, but noone nows what the problem is, so I said what is the most common thing you replace when you get a customer with this code, he said he can't say becuase it can be anything. I was like come on This is a common problem with accords and civics. And I didn't have this problem before the swap and the swap wouldn't effect any of the emission bulshit . I mean this is complete bullshit, Honda dealerships are TRUE Motherfuckers, How can it be "anything" If alot of civics and accords have the problem then the problem part is probably the same for evryone , and the whole system doesn't have that many differnt parts. I told him i put hose clamps on and that I replaced the bypass valve along with the 2 way valve near the gas tank, so thats 3 less things it can be. And the mother fucker still can' give me some advice. Fuck that Son of a Bitch, he can eat a fat mother fucking dick. So Of course just like any other honda problem i come to the forums in hope for answers. Did anyone have this code before? If so what was the problem?. Its so aggrevating, i did a swap, it runs beautifully, but some stupid fuckin emission system, is gonna get on my nerve. I would do OBD1 but Now in NY they are gonna be doing the OBD2 scanner plug in at inspections( they started June 1st)I passed inspection before june but I just wanna get this fixed.. This emissions is fucking garbage. This problem is not my fault, honda should address this, FUCK EMISSIONS... Anyway If some one had this problem before please let me now whats wrong!! THANKS

Ur very ignorant bro, i work for honda and that code can be caused by so many different factors in the engine that usually it will take more than a hour to figure out. Yes its common for accords and civics with there ORIGINAL motors, but when you start mixing and matching motors and chassis, and further more adding a JDM motor that doesn't have the same emission standards as the US then it makes it that more difficult. If you want it fixed pay for it, and dont call the Technicians idiots because they know what they are doing and you dont. Honda should addresss this my ass, we are hear to fix cars that have OEM equipment not your shitty hack job swaps so you calm your ass and STFU.

Are you kidding me, any one can take a computer and plug it into a car and test different components. Technician, have you done any engine swaps?, have you mixed different motors into different cars?. this is my 3rd swap, "hack job" fuck you I don't do hack jobs, the 3 swaps I worked on are all quality work. Obviously its not a hack job since the motor runs fine and the check engine light is for an emission problem and not for anything on the motor or any of the wiring. This has nothing to do with the swap or it being JDM motor. There is NO emission equipment on the motor its self. So If I would of put a USDM B16a2 in my car It would be no different. There is only 1 (one) vacuum port that goes to the purge control solenoid from the intake manifold. And the JDM and USDM B16's both have them. The JDM motors have a different emission standard because of the ecu that they run off. Its an OBD1 engine that came out of and OBD1 Car, that ran off a OBD1 ecu. All I have to do is change the oil pump, distributor, and injectors, and BAM its an OBD2 motor, and if I run it off an OBD2 ecu , then it complies with all OBD2 emission standards, because its only the ecu that controls all the sensors and makes the engine run more efficient.. And it ran fine for like 3 weeks and then I got the code. So its nothing the motor swap could of done.
you said "If you want it fixed pay for it", Oh sure I will pay for it, i'll pay for any part that I need to get it fixed but I won't pay no idiot Honda "TECHNICIAN".. you said " because they know what they are doing and you dont". Oh so becasue you took some Honda certification test on how to plug in a computer and open and close valves through the cars ecu means you now more then me. I started working on hondas 3 years ago and I've rebuilt 2 B16a's with my buddies, did a vtec head swap(mini-me) and did my own b16a swap, and I did all the rewiring work myself for all the motors and I didn't take no test or go to school for it, I learned it all on my own so don't say I don't now what I'm doing. , You work on Hondas all day!!, and even YOU said that this problem is common with accords and civics, so after troubleshooting all these cars it would still take you more then an hour to troublshoot a repeative problem. Thats is BULLSHIT. You said "Yes its common for accords and civics with there ORIGINAL motors, but when you start mixing and matching motors and chassis"... This problem shouldn't be treated any differently. its just like anyother honda motor but with 2 cams and alot more power. It has the usual honda motor components, block, head, distributor, injectors, intake manifold,exhaust, tranny, etc, etc.. basically every d-series motor is the same and every b-series is the same. The emission system is its own system that works with the engine. The 99 Civic Si B16a2 car has the same emission sytem as the 99 EX D16y8 car. and the only think differnt between the 99-00 civic emission system and the 96-98 emission system is the OVR Valve that is standard on all 99-00 civics,, So it doesn't matter what Series motor I have in my chasis. And if it is a common problem why doesn't Honda Put a recall or do soemthing about it, becasue customers have to all pay for a problem that evryone is having and its not right. I thought that if there was a repeative problem like the ignition system, honda would put out a Recall. By the way do you now what can be causing this, after I put hose clamps on all the hoses, and replaced the bypass valve, and the 2 way valve?? :blink:

EDIT: Nevermind, I should read the whole thread before posting, sorry but my guess was the 2-way valve, :(

I've been searching the internet everyday for the last couple of days, and alot of people just replace the Canister shut off valve and problem solved but Mine does click when I put power to it and then remove it. Some People have replaced the cansister shut off valve, or the charcoal canister and some replace the ecu. Problem is that they are all to expensive or else I would just buy all three.

Ok, My Canister valve clicks, hoses are all clamped tight and charcoal canisters hardly ever, go bad (when I was at honda , the Head mechanic said they never go bad, and he said the last time he saw one go bad was when he saw a 94 civic burned to a crisp). BUT then i think WELL,,, I didn't have this problem before the swap, so maybe I bought a bad ecu of ebay!!!. It almost makes no sense, everything checks out fine but I still get the code, and when you go through all the troubleshooting steps from a Helms manual for this code , it doesn't say anything about "replace ecu with a nown working ecu" . Usually when its an electrical problem the book will take you trough all the steps and at the end it will say, if problem presists "replace ecu with a nown working ecu". Its driving me nutts!!!

xyswany: Why did you suggest the 2 way valve? Did you have this problem before? Because thats what I thought it was at first too, so i repaced the 2 way and bypas valve.

Who cares how many cars they work on, its all the same work, its not like they go to work everyday and get a suprise and work on a different kind of car, different models but they are all hondas, they don't get chevy's, fords, lexus, Mercedes, etc., You said "You don't even have 1/10 of the expreience" You act like they do something special, they change brakes, mufflers, oil, clutches, window motors, check timing, change timing belts,change gas caps, WHOOPDIE-FUCKIN-DO. Who hasn't did any of that?They just have a computer that plugs in and test different shit, If i had that machine I would also be a Honda Technician with EXPERIENCE. I NEVER SAID I NOW EVERYTHING, I'm just proving a point that I'm not some guy that comes on this board and ask for a recomondation for a good mechanic to install a CAI for them, like he thinks!! There are people on this forum and other ones that give away wrong info, I feel bad for some people that come on here and other forums and ask what is needed for a swap or what ecu, etc. becasue I've been reading through tons of forums and, HONESTLY It seems like EVERYONE is a PROFESSIONAL MECHANIC, some people need NOT TO POST if they have not done work on a particular car, swap or any kind of car repair, but i'm not talking about everyone , there are some really smart guys on here that now there shit and tell people the truth, because they now what they are talking about, its just people who put on a CAI, and a muffler and think they now everything about cars, swaps and whats involved, BUT they are there to answer any question, anytime you need them!!!

There are alot of people that do swaps, suspension work, or anykind of car work, but now they Know nothing becasue they are not PROFESSIONALS. So you have to be a Professional to give advice or now how to work on a car. My issue is the emission system there are not alot of people that work in there garage and repair emission system equipment, I don't expect alot of people to now the emission sysem i was just wondering if anyone came upon this code.... How Did I not now the code?, I SAID it was a P1457, I thought it was a 9 at first becasue i didn't now about the second zero, so to make sure i purchased a OBD2 scanner. So months before I talked to anybody I had the scanner, and new what the code was.
And in the first place I was pissed with the Honda Dealership, not anybody on this board its not my fault some fag honda Tech felt he had to defend himself and his job. I didn't call him out and start motherfuckin him, he put his Fuckin 2 cents in............. And WHAT NOW I can't be pissed about whats wrong with my car or the Dealership. People come on this board all day and post there problems and anything that pisses them off, so next time some one comes on this board and post about getting a Check Engine Light after doing a mod you might as well jump on them too!!!!!!!!. That Dick didn't have to say anything, why did he get so pissed off about my opinion???, he could of just ignored that and gave me some advice about what he nows. But besides That I still didn't get any help on my problem!!, your the fuckin girl with the pony taken away, becasue after 2 posts about shit talking you still can't get over it, it was between me and the HONDA TECH, Why did you have to add to it?? , is it becasue you want to increase your number of posts?? Huh, Don't make the situation worse dude, Fuckin Grow up and be a man about it, don't think your cool because you can trash talk, Do you have an Idea of what wrong with my car? NO. So don't post!! Ignore What I think about Honda, Just look at the problem that I'm having!!!!!. My post title does NOT say trash the guy that hates the Honda Service department, It says """"""" FUCKIN P1457 code"""""". This doesn't need to go any further unless someone nows or has advice about my problem. Becasue Obviously there are still kids on here that like to post for numbers!!

Originally posted by hondadriver@Jun 10 2004, 07:55 PM

xyswany: Why did you suggest the 2 way valve? Did you have this problem before? Because thats what I thought it was at first too, so i repaced the 2 way and bypas valve.

I researched it a bit and that was the cause of most of the cases.

Back