P28 chipped ecu on a gsr

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

96coupeb18

PLZ Help

Hey guys I need a new ecu and I was wondering does a chipped p28 with say a mugen or skunk program, run ok for the gsr. Also will it throw any codes because it is a different ecu, I am starting to get really pissed here, because I am getting a code 3 and code 22 (map sensor defective and vtec oil pressure switch) when I get into VTEC the CEL comes on, and know it has gotten worst so when I get on it and hit VTEC then, let off the gas the engine completely shuts down, and all the accessory lights come on and then it takes a few minutes before it starts, I think my ecu is fucked because would any of what I am talking about (code wise) make the car do that??? please let me know thanks

Also I was wanting to know something else, I have to get whoever is chipping my ecu to program it for IAB as well, Well if I did not do that would there be a loss of power but say I kept my VTEC X-Over at 4400 RPM. And if I did get the IAB program if it engages at 5400RPM would that be ok and rev limit to 8,000. And only reason why I am doing this is because I know a guy who is doing all of it and providing the hardware for $35. ANy help is appreciated thanks

i would doubt that your ECU is fucked.
sounds like you have a world of other problems to consider before you get a "chipped" ECU.
you wont be able to run the IAB's with a chipped p28..

i suggest you PM the user "allmotormonster" he's an ECU genius

The problem has just started, and the guy I got the car from says it was never throwing a CEL before he gave it to me, but a week after I had it i am getting those codes, That is weird that I would have two problems like that at the same time or is it. (map sensor and vtec ops)???? And why would the car just cut off after hitting VTEC , and it does it everytime????

Originally posted by 96coupeb18@Oct 30 2003, 09:58 PM
The problem has just started, and the guy I got the car from says it was never throwing a CEL before he gave it to me, but a week after I had it i am getting those codes, That is weird that I would have two problems like that at the same time or is it. (map sensor and vtec ops)???? And why would the car just cut off after hitting VTEC , and it does it everytime????

Because the ECU was not converted properly.

I've seen this many times.

Yes, the P28 can run the IAB's with some work and programming.

Because the ECU was not converted properly.
I've seen this many times.
Yes, the P28 can run the IAB's with some work and programming.

Well the car is giving me problems with the current p72 ecu, i was thinking of getting a p28 chipped if it was almost as good cause they are cheap??? is that ok??? Also if I use the p28 and dont program for IAB will I lose hp or would there be any cons, I am going to run a turbo if that matters. thanks

Originally posted by 96coupeb18@Nov 1 2003, 05:35 PM
Well the car is giving me problems with the current p72 ecu, i was thinking of getting a p28 chipped if it was almost as good cause they are cheap??? is that ok??? Also if I use the p28 and dont program for IAB will I lose hp or would there be any cons, I am going to run a turbo if that matters. thanks

What problems?

Maybe you ought to figure out the problems before replacing ecu's.

Yes, if you program a P28 and use it on a GSR you will probably run too lean. Also, if you decide not to use the IAB's, then just unplug the vacuum line to the control valve.

Yes, Turbo matters. This makes a big difference. In the case of turbo I would recommend spending the extra $$ for hondata

you can make a chipped P28 run a GSR motor flawlessly. The only reason for it to run lean is poor work on the part of the person programming the chip. I have kids running for months on P05 (CX) ECUs converted to vtec with IAB hardware added. Kids that dropped half a sec in the quarter vs. a stock P72... OBD1 ECU hardware is very universal - its all about the program inside.

You can run boost on a stock ECU, but hondata is still much better.

Back