1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P28 Mugen style chip

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by bcreez, Nov 14, 2003.

1. bcreez

bcreez Member

just put a p28 ecu on my GSR motor because i'm installing the skunk manifold this weekend. i got one of the mugen style chips (redline 9k, vtec-5800) me and a friend installed the chip. its about the 5th time we've chipped an ecu sucessfully. chip works exactly like its suppose to. only problem, my A/F gauge is staying on rich, only time it goes to stoich is when i gear down, but while i'm driving it stays rich.
    i've adjusted my fuel psi from 40 to 50 and everywhere in between, still rich. no gas or any liquid coming from exhaust, doesn't smell rich either. i'm thinkin its probably ok but i had to ask just in case.

2. B18aCRX

B18aCRX Senior Member

I have heard that those chips make you're engine run rich all the time, that's the reason that they help make power. That's why most everybody around here will suggest a hondata instead. good luck

3. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

really? rich? lol

E was close to 10:1 a/f ratios with his mugen chip on an ITR. lol

they DONT help make power. running rich = slow, shit mileage, but you don't blow up.

the mugen chips are made for mugen motors- that need 14:1 compression, and a LOT more gas than your stock b16 could eat in a 1000 rpms. and thus, they run stupid rich.

4. bcreez

bcreez Member

i've heard the crap about the chips makin a car run rich. i know this! and if someone wants to donate to the ME fund i'll get a Hondata, because i don't have well over a G to spend on Hdata. So until then I'll be runnin RICH. Better than lean!!

5. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

no need to get a hondata... a used vafc and 3 pulls on the dyno will do the trick.

it will pay for itself in gas mileage after a month.

6. bcreez

bcreez Member

what about an s-afc the one with the adjustable knobs, would one of those work for my prob?

7. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

you have VTEC ... get the VAFC

8. calvin

calvin Senior Member

Mugen chips run in openloop.
    That means the o2 sensor doesn't work. So it does not lean out the fuel when tps < 70%.
    I run of the fuel maps all the time.
    Closed loop will lean out the fuel when tps < 70%.
    Mugen is designed for race only.

I wouldn't use that chip. Mail me for more info

9. bcreez

bcreez Member

the chip isn't a real mugen chip its just a mugen spec chip i just needed the settings this chip had for vtec and redline. open loop means it would get no reading, but its reading rich most of the time when i gear down or let off the throttle it goes to stoich but as soon as i give gas its rich again. so its getting some kind of a reading...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted