1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paint Issues

Discussion in 'Body / Exterior / Interior / Cosmetics' started by Harms Way, Oct 9, 2004.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way Senior Member

I am getting ready to order/paint a new set of front and rear lips and also the OEM side skirts on my car. Now i found some Acrylic Urethane Single Stage paint that matches my paint code but I was wondering if a Basecoat / Clearcoat System would be better. The lips I am ordering are ABS plastic (eureathane right?).

Also, am i going to only need the paint? meaning...do i need some kind of thinner? and if so what kind? My dad has his own gun and is pretty familiar with this kind of thing so we can make it look good (hopefully).

Any information is greatly appreciated.

2. tab

tab Super Moderator

Single stage paint is ok, but base/clear is a little better. The paint that you buy will come as a system. You have to buy the thinner, hardener, and paint as a package.

At the very least, you should use adhesion promoter and primer on the plastic before painting it, unless it comes ready to paint.

3. Harms Way

Harms Way Senior Member

Thanks for the reply tab. Do you know any good sites that sell the thinner, hardener, and paint as a package? I already have some of that adhesive promoter and i found a site that sells the Basecoat/clearcoat system. Am i overlooking something or are the only things i will need are the primer, basecoat/clear coat system, and adhesive promoter?

4. tab

tab Super Moderator

Yes, you'll need to know how to paint.

You need to degrease and/or de-wax the molded part. Then use the adhesion promoter and primer.

At that point you paint.

NAPA sells paint, so if you have one of them locally, you might try there. I like talking with people first person about paint. A web site can't give you advice on what speed reducer to use, etc. This is especially important in your case.

You might be better off just paying someone to spray these for you, since the hardware and the paint are both expensive.

5. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

don't forget to add a flex additive if your gonna use dupont paint (napa brand) a mid line called cromabase sp? is good and comes out nice but don't use their chrome clear it sucks

6. tab

tab Super Moderator

Good call.

I forgot about the flex additive. :slap:

7. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

painting platics is such a pain i have a check list to make sure i don't forget step 56 of 1000000

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted