Paint not sticking help !!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Boosted199

ok well i got bored and wanted to paint my valve cover ive done paint jobs before on my actual car and it comes out fine but when i went to do my valve cover the paint didnt stick it jus like cracked up and dripped like crazy i call it spider web cause das how it looks like a spider web as if it shrunk and cracked id what i did wrong... first i used paint stripper the spray den hosed it down sanded the valve cover did like 2 coats of primer let it dry then since i was doing a 2 color theme i painted the letters the color i wanted 2 coats let it dry then tapped over the letters and did the base coat but where the letters were around it the paint cracked and spidered idk whats wrong please help i no there is probly a tread explaining this but id appreciate any advice and help thanks in advance... oo and i was using spray cans not a spray gun if that helps...

sounds like your coats of paint were too thick.

hold your can 8-12 inches away and just do light coats. let each coat dry before applying the next.

2 things -

1) restrip and reprepare your surface. you may have had some oils or whatnot on the valve cover

2) shake up your paint for longer

main thing it sounds like is that the surface wasnt prepped. washing it off with water is not enough. gotta use some strong degreaser on there to get it really clean, and then i like to wipe it down with some mineral spirits or something along those lines. even alcohol will help.

2 things -

1) restrip and reprepare your surface. you may have had some oils or whatnot on the valve cover

2) shake up your paint for longer
this is what i was gonna say but i wasnt too sure because you said you primered already and you didnt have issues so i was thinking you must have had a good claen surface.....but i've never had issues. possibly because if i use automotive spray-paint i have sandblasted the part and wiped it clean with a damp rag. generally though i like to powder coat so i let the powder coater worry about these kinda issues. try Turbos advise.

ight thanks yea like the primer went on good and all and i do the first coat light and spotted then another thicker coat maybe i did do it too think idk this time ima try degreasing as mdpseg and turbo said and hope it comes out better.. im buying the stripper today and going to take my time and how long should i let dry between coats like 30 min ? and do i need to sand the primer and the coat i do for the letters so that the paint grips ?

Back