Paint question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thiebert

I am getting my whole car painted because of a accident i just gotta pay a deductible and a little extra to get the rest of a the car painted. I was wondering if anybody knows whether it would cost anymore money to have it painted a different colour? just door jams and all four sides. it is red now i was thinking candy apple red or that blue that i see on the 05 civics around. I just wanna know if it is worth anymore to change a colour or not so that when i ask i will know if the guys is runnin me around or not.
thanks

damn, 500 is pretty cheap...

when it comes down to completely changing a color is a lot of work
if oyu are going from red to candy red, you could prob get away with no doing them... but if you go fom red to blue you really should, or else your car looks like a complete hack when you open the doors...

it takes a lot of work to do door jams...
a lot
doors have to come off, interior has to be removed all around the jam, inside of the car needs to be cardboarded and taped off, then the entire door needs to be stripped down to change the color around your door panel and such...

Yeah, if you do red to candy apple red you probably won't have to jam it. and it won't look as dumb as if you don't.

500 isn't that much, but that's over the cost of the usual job. But if you pay a guy $20 an hour to strip down a car, that's 25 hours of labor. It's not that hard to rip off doors, etc. The worst part is trying to paint proof the interior. I'd like a few tips on that myself. I have decent masking skills, but there has to be a better/faster way.......

tab the only way is to plastic and tape then paper overtop and tape. As for the jambs and such it can be done in about 2-3 hrs i tape to the lip that the trim covers(you will never see the seam).

Back