Painted Car myself!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm spoiled by top shelf subwoofers, and while the Sony is ok, I like a MUCH cleaner, fuller, stronger bass note. Just my taste. :D

I got it used in a box a few years ago. It was part of the goal to have my truck stereo totally done for less than $400. It had to be all decent quality too. Mid-range Alpine CD head unit, mid/upper range JBL speakers in the doors, decent Profile 60x4 amplifier pushing 60x2 +180, then the Sony sub in the box. It all sounds damn good for what I paid, but when I'm used to burning that much just for the subwoofer and twice that on the head unit, you can see where I'm coming from when I say that I want to ditch the Sony sub.

:D

back to the whole "ignorance is bliss" thing baha. my first system was a little audiobahn 10" with a broken 760 watt amp (if the bass got to loud it stopped sending signal or what ever). And now i have 2 12"s with a 1000 watt. so to me that is like system heaven lol. Im not sure if my head unit is considered "top" quality or not, but its a dual with the little flip screen on it :) i like it.

if you are going to be installing a stereo, I may have a better idea than going to wal-mart.

what most people skimp on building a system is midrange, a 2000W amp and 2 15"s is still going to sound like crap with the trunk rattling loud as hell and no mids to back up all that bass.

one 10" in a properly built slot port box hits just as hard as most 12"s you will hear.

try using a 4 channel amp and an external crossover, if money is an object try craigslist, remember that good names to look for are companies that only do car stereo, or just stereo components like, alpine, kicker, JL audio etc.

Most stereo systems I hear today sound like complete shit. They're all bass, no mids or highs. It really pisses me off because you're missing about 75% of the music. Cool, you have the bass, now where's the lyrics? I can't hear them because you have a monster setup in the trunk but nothing helping with everything else.

My Volvo has 3 Alpine Type E's in a vented enclosure with an infinity 1211a 2 channel pushing those. Focal's in the doors with a JBL 400.4 pushing those. I love it, sounds great and is crystal clear. I usually keep the bass down to maintain my hearing, lol.

back to the whole "ignorance is bliss" thing baha. my first system was a little audiobahn 10" with a broken 760 watt amp (if the bass got to loud it stopped sending signal or what ever). And now i have 2 12"s with a 1000 watt. so to me that is like system heaven lol. Im not sure if my head unit is considered "top" quality or not, but its a dual with the little flip screen on it :) i like it.

Dual? Audiobahn? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

if you are going to be installing a stereo, I may have a better idea than going to wal-mart.

what most people skimp on building a system is midrange, a 2000W amp and 2 15"s is still going to sound like crap with the trunk rattling loud as hell and no mids to back up all that bass.

one 10" in a properly built slot port box hits just as hard as most 12"s you will hear.

try using a 4 channel amp and an external crossover, if money is an object try craigslist, remember that good names to look for are companies that only do car stereo, or just stereo components like, alpine, kicker, JL audio etc.

:werd: :werd: :werd: :werd: :werd:

I prefer just one good 10 incher in a sealed box with a lot of really solid power. I don't even like ported boxes.

I prefer just one good 10 incher in a sealed box with a lot of really solid power. I don't even like ported boxes.

at a kick ass sale I just got a brand new type-e 10" sub for $50, I had it in a small sealed box and it sounded very nice with only 200W from an Xtant 404m

I wanted more so I followed the specs from alpine to build a slot port box, when I figured out how to fit a 22" port in a box 16.5x15x11" I put that together with $17 worth of MDF from home depot (they even cut all the pieces for me, all I had to cut was the hole) and it was astounding the difference the proper box makes, tons more deep volume and still very tight. Sadly, that box didn't fit in the del-sol and leave room for the roof, my bro's old ass HX2 lives in there now and it shakes the ground around his car.

also alot of people tend to forget that a head unit also has a huge impact on all of your speaker/subs.

thats why its near impossible to hook up subs to stock head units....

Audiobahn?

I don't even like ported boxes.

I have had several sets of Audiobahn subs, and never had a problem with them. I happen to prefer them over most other brands. And if I am not mistaken, most, if not all, Audiobahns need to be in a vented/ported box...

Back