Painted my buddys turbo tercel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nice paint job, but i gotta ask, why a tercel? you should grab a hyundai accent while you're at it. but seriously the paint does look good, i know i cant paint for shit, thats why i dont try

paint looks good...

if you do good prep work then wet sanding and buffing is over rated...

prime, paint, clear call it a day...
unless there's $$$ involved....

and paint that doesn't have a seperate clear coat is acrylic...

You folks aren't getting the point :)

Looks good Chris, but here are my suggestions, as an ex-ferrari mechanic and body guy:

I can tell by the relative shinyness that it wasn't sanded too well to begin with. Next time, be sure you prep the surfaces with a lot of care.
Then, Use a guide coat of primer . I suppose you've figured out why they make different colors of Primer. Use a bright one or a dark one (To contrast) lightly, and sand it with the 800 or 1000 on a block until all the guide coat is gone, Wide strokes.
Then, the 2000 grit should be NO WHERE near your end coats. 6000 grit should be your visible sandings. Here is my suggestion to recover this paint:

Get in there with water and a 6000 sander, about a 4" hand sanding block and about 8 hours if you're quick. Were this a Ferrari, this would be a 40 hour process.
Apply base color coat and give it a quick buff and compound. Quick, because when you're done with it you'll do it at LEAST 5 more times.
Grab the clean painter's helpers and do the purple polish. Hand apply and gingerly work it in. Toothpaste works in a pinch or for small areas.
Then apply a wax / Buffing to finish it. You're about 12 hours away from near completion, but since it's your first time 12 hours may turn into 18. Don't worry about it. This paint represents you.

-> Steve

Originally posted by SiLude@Jun 23 2005, 03:13 PM
nice paint job, but i gotta ask, why a tercel? you should grab a hyundai accent while you're at it. but seriously the paint does look good, i know i cant paint for shit, thats why i dont try
[post=515716]Quoted post[/post]​

why a tercel? why not? its a total sleeper. why do you hook up a civic? same reason. he spent $1900 on that car. find me a 93 honda with no rust with that kind of power.

Originally posted by Celerity@Jun 23 2005, 04:07 PM

Looks good Chris, but here are my suggestions, as an ex-ferrari mechanic and body guy:

I can tell by the relative shinyness that it wasn't sanded too well to begin with. Next time, be sure you prep the surfaces with a lot of care.
Then, Use a guide coat of primer . I suppose you've figured out why they make different colors of Primer. Use a bright one or a dark one (To contrast) lightly, and sand it with the 800 or 1000 on a block until all the guide coat is gone, Wide strokes.
Then, the 2000 grit should be NO WHERE near your end coats. 6000 grit should be your visible sandings. Here is my suggestion to recover this paint:

Get in there with water and a 6000 sander, about a 4" hand sanding block and about 8 hours if you're quick. Were this a Ferrari, this would be a 40 hour process.
Apply base color coat and give it a quick buff and compound. Quick, because when you're done with it you'll do it at LEAST 5 more times.
Grab the clean painter's helpers and do the purple polish. Hand apply and gingerly work it in. Toothpaste works in a pinch or for small areas.
Then apply a wax / Buffing to finish it. You're about 12 hours away from near completion, but since it's your first time 12 hours may turn into 18. Don't worry about it. This paint represents you.

-> Steve
[post=515749]Quoted post[/post]​

the car was sanded very well. smooth to the touch. i think the problem with the paint initially was that we were having trouble setting up the gun. it was a brand new gun, never used. like i said, my car will turn out better. ;)

he is extremely happy with how the car looks now, he loves the look.

Originally posted by Celerity@Jun 23 2005, 04:07 PM

-> Steve
[post=515749]Quoted post[/post]​

You may know some about this and that steve, but you have no idea what your talking about with paint work.
Chris I dont know what you did but i hope you intended to make a flat paint job cause thats what u have. From what i can see there will be no wetsanding and buffing that to a shine......generally it has to shine atleast a little bit to begin with for any shine to ever become of it. If more advice is needed or wanted let me know but its late and thats all i have to say for know.

Originally posted by TurboMirage+Jun 23 2005, 11:20 PM-->
@Jun 23 2005, 03:13 PM
nice paint job, but i gotta ask, why a tercel?  you should grab a hyundai accent while you're at it.  but seriously the paint does look good, i know i cant paint for shit, thats why i dont try
[post=515716]Quoted post[/post]​

why a tercel? why not? its a total sleeper. why do you hook up a civic? same reason. he spent $1900 on that car. find me a 93 honda with no rust with that kind of power.
[post=515902]Quoted post[/post]​

point well taken, but imo tercel's are kind of funky looking. civics are much better looking, thats why i would choose one over a tercel

people make fun of my rex all the time because its flat black and a little loud and ugly....but once they ride they love it.....probably the same thing with the tercel..dont knock it till you ride it.....i like it and its probably faster that a turbo charged d series.....but i dont know

i mean, i'm not trying to knock it or anything. i know for a fact that it is faster than my cars. its just that i have always thought they were weird. but they're straight, there are def. crappier cars than a tercel out there. a hyundai accent would be a good example, or a daewoo.

blkhrs8a.jpg

You may know some about this and that steve, but you have no idea what your talking about with paint work.

That's me. That's a $45,000 Jaguar that I painted. I've painted Aston Martins, Show car MGs and Ferraris.

-> Steve

Bince.

Originally posted by Celerity@Jun 25 2005, 11:15 AM
blkhrs8a.jpg

That's me. That's a $45,000 Jaguar that I painted. I've painted Aston Martins, Show car MGs and Ferraris.

-> Steve

Bince.
[post=516379]Quoted post[/post]​

B) well played

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Jun 30 2005, 11:45 PM
:( Souped up tercels make me cry.
[post=518951]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't like Tercels that are filled with soup either... makes it hard to sit in and drive when you have chunks of chicken and veggies floating around your shoulders.

Back