Painting a mirage. update AND PAINTING IT 8/26

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i hate to rain on your parade chris but...if your car has any bodyflex i think the bondo is going to crack in the rain gutters. props on the diy bodywork.looks good

what exactly is envolved in welding/filling in fenders? I found some kinda half way fenders for honda rot then I was thinking about just cutting, having my freind weld them in, then grind down the shit then fill the remainder in.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jul 26 2005, 10:41 PM
what exactly is envolved in welding/filling in fenders? I found some kinda half way fenders for honda rot then I was thinking about just cutting, having my freind weld them in, then grind down the shit then fill the remainder in.
[post=531698]Quoted post[/post]​

just that. you cut the rust out, and cut a piece of sheet metal that is bigger that you weld to it. if i take off the fender again ill take a pic of the inside.

of course you have to shape it to contours before it is welded :) you use a dolly and a hammer for that.

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@Jul 26 2005, 11:08 PM
wheres the turbo??? lol
[post=531715]Quoted post[/post]​

in my pants.

nah really, im going to part out my kit. 4g63t for this little guy in the winter. the motor is dying anyways, so the turbo wouldnt last long.

4G63... I have one of those sitting my yard. Rotting. Like the car it came out of :)

If you need a harness, get down here this weekend. The car is going away... far... far... away. You can take bracketted items off it, power steering, AC, etc. The pistons are prolly destroyed from the valves, and the head definately needs work. Like I said, come and take.

what year? i know its N/T... im almost positive the T and N/T harnesses are different. ill have to check. the motor im most likely getting is a 92.

'There is a right way, and a wrong way to bondo. Just ask the owners of 64-70 Mustangs.

as far as the motor, it's 91. Just sayin, come down and pick through this thing like a haitian in a dumpster.

Originally posted by ScrapinSi@Jul 27 2005, 08:02 PM
PLEASE tell me you didn't just bondo those gutters? They WILL crack...
[post=532158]Quoted post[/post]​

well we filled them with fiberglass reinforced filler, and then put the pink stuff on top since it is easier to work with. its not going anywhere, and ive already put the car through its paces.

what do you suggest instead short of welding in strips of metal?

Originally posted by Celerity@Jul 27 2005, 08:50 PM
'There is a right way, and a wrong way to bondo. Just ask the owners of 64-70 Mustangs.

as far as the motor, it's 91. Just sayin, come down and pick through this thing like a haitian in a dumpster.
[post=532167]Quoted post[/post]​

lemme do some research real quick, and ill get back to you shortly.

I've done it with bondo and it didn't crack. It came out kinda nice, but I wouldn't do it again. I got water poured on me all the time and it pour down the sides of the car and the windows while driving.

I would have done it just the way he said though, fiberglass "filler" then the regular filler stuff on top if I didn't have access to a welder. Even then, welding them in is a PITA also.

Fiberglass filler will allow a little more flex, and be less prone to crack than straight bondo...

I would have recommended welding in small strips of metal, then using filler on top.. Main reason being, the roof panel is rather thin, and flexes alot...

Just dont get mad and knock your roof at all... Because then it WILL crack.

ive noticed so far it just cracks along the sides where the pink bondo is. instead of feathering it into the roof, im just going to sand it so its level and put a piece of thin black vinyl over the whole thing.

Thin black vinyl... So a can of bondo and some "thin black vinyl". All the weight savings, and this is what you're doing now ?

come on man. Thin black strips of vinyl ?

Chris... Thats ghetto, even for you... :) Why not sand out alot of that bondo, go spend $175 and buy a welder from HF... Then you can do it right, and practice your welding at the same time.

Originally posted by Celerity@Jul 30 2005, 12:45 PM
Thin black vinyl... So a can of bondo and some "thin black vinyl". All the weight savings, and this is what you're doing now ?

come on man. Thin black strips of vinyl ?
[post=533347]Quoted post[/post]​

what weight savings? what about the 30lbs of dynamat and expanding foam in the rear quarters?

well, the front fenders are butter smooth and everything has been fitted properly. the roof is butter smooth. all thats left is to trim the gutters and add some flexing stuff to them. then paint TOMORROW!!!

rooffinished.JPG

psfinallyfinished.JPG

dsfinallyfinished.JPG

Back