painting a valve cover

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm wanting to paint a spare valve cover that I have to match the color of my car. The problem I'm running into is that nobody makes a maroon/burgandy high temp paint. Could I use a high temp primer, then regular paint, and then a high temp clear to get the color I want? Or am I just screwed on color matching? Thanks.

The only way to know is to try. I would expect that it would be fine though, just make sure you sand it really well so the paint sticks.

use aircraft stipper to strip your old paint off then use a 3m pad to scuff the valve cover. then use a silver high temp paint or get the metallic ground coat for the anodize paint as a primer. and let it sit for a week, then get the color of paint you want to match your car and spray it. let it dry for a couple of days and your good to go. the reason you have to let it sit a week after the base ground coat is if you mix paint you have the chance of it blistering. or you can find a powdercoater in your area and see if they have a color that is close to matching your car and get it powdercoated

powdercoat it or paint it.

Regular paint will hold up fine for a valve cover. The rattle can stuff doesn't like it when you spill oil on it. It discolors easy.

I polished mine. It took several hours, but polished aluminum is nice.

Back