Painting Car Flat Black...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

saturn_boy96

88 C1V1C 53D4N DR1V3R
Ok i got a few days off from work and my car has a few minor rust spots, so i figured i would take care of the rust before it gets too bad. so i need to know when i finish with the painting part, do i need to apply a clear coat?

i am going to use Krylon utra flat black. will the clear coat defeat the flatness of the paint?

yes, applying a clear coat will give it a gloss finish...unless you use a matte/satin clear. trailorparkpimp would be the one to ask about what clear to use, if any. he has made some show-winning primered cars.

i painted my car with krylon ultra flat black, i just used one coat of the spray paint, and thats it...
make sure you sand down the orig. paint good, but not down to metal.
here is mine turned out
s3e95a08a9eb1f.jpg

here are more pics
https://hondaswap.com/gallery/browse.ph...hp?album_id=389

Originally posted by mtnbike444@Apr 19 2003, 05:33 PM
Why would you WANT your car to look like that? :huh:

It normally is a kinda of temp. fix for faded, mixed matched, or rusted cars. If you do a good job, it can look pretty good. It also looks real good if you go a camo or cow pattern.

Originally posted by paragus+Apr 19 2003, 06:22 PM-->
saturn_boy96
@Apr 19 2003, 10:55 AM
did you use a primer?

no he didint, we just sanded the car down and painted it.

:werd: paragus helped me do it, it was my first time, he was my mentor :D
it turned out pretty good, and yes its a temp fix until i feel like spending money for a real paintjob.. my car was 3 different colors before that from an accident, looks hell of a lot better now than it did :)

yeah, my car looks like shit anyways.

theres a big hole in it(right behind the drivers side door) from a big redneck mobile with a fuckin' bambi guard on ITS ASS END!!!!! and the hood has that shitty clear coat issue, so it looks all cracked. and last summer i had to stop my car in a hail storm(turns out i was about 200yds short of an overpass i could have parked under), and even tho the damage was assessed at $6,000, when i said i was going to fix it myself my insurance only gave me $3,000(fucking state farm bastards).

so i have about 4 days off and me and a friend are gonna fix it. this will be my first try at real body work so be ready.

Originally posted by micah+Apr 19 2003, 11:30 PM-->
looks good for a first timer :D

nice wheels/brakes btw :worthy: :)

the back window tint is killing me though :eek:
thanks, yes the tint was killing me for months, finally got around to peeling it off yesterday, my god what a job!
liquid00meth

primer = better

sanding down the original paint acts as a primer, one is not better than the other.

yeah removing tint does suck. my friend and i peeled all the old tint off his camaro once and i daresay i wont be doing it again :p

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Apr 20 2003, 03:14 AM
yeah, my car looks like shit anyways.

theres a big hole in it(right behind the drivers side door) from a big redneck mobile with a fuckin' bambi guard on ITS ASS END!!!!! and the hood has that shitty clear coat issue, so it looks all cracked. and last summer i had to stop my car in a hail storm(turns out i was about 200yds short of an overpass i could have parked under), and even tho the damage was assessed at $6,000, when i said i was going to fix it myself my insurance only gave me $3,000(fucking state farm bastards).

so i have about 4 days off and me and a friend are gonna fix it. this will be my first try at real body work so be ready.

wow it was extremely stupid to tell your insurance that. lol.

This has inspired me, the easter egg teal CX is getting a Krylon flat black paint job, I can't handle the teal and the wife will kill me if I spend anymore money on cars! How many cans did it take to do that coupe? is it a one coat affair or did you spray it twice?

-Matt
1994 CX - D16Z6 currently running non-vtec LOL :D
1997 Eclipse GST Spyder - 12's :D

Back