painting help......

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rrz69

i have a 1994 honda del sol.. its time for a paint job. i want to do it myself. one problem. i dont know anything about painting. as far as equipment goes i know i will need a compressor (which i have), paint gun, painting mask, mixing sticks and..... idk what else......? but one thing that really gets me is paint and clear coat. i seen complete painting kits on ebay such as eBay Motors: Candy Apple Red Urethane Basecoat Clear coat Kit (item 370102825830 end time Nov-06-08 19:20:00 PST) ..... idk what is better... do they have different types of base coat.. like water base,oil base.....idk if so what is better.. would u recommend candy apple red for a beginner painter (to be honest im a fast learner so i dont think paint will be much of a problem after like 20 min ill practice before hand.) how much paint will i need..... and what do i need.. i hear of all these hardeners and activaters... what is for what.. is hardner for the clear coat and activator for base coat ?? also ratios tha i will need to mix things up. also could u give me the steps i would be doing this in ? how many coats will be applied.. i know that i would have to sand the old surface for the new paint to stick. do i need to primer the whole car? how many coats of base coat would be applied and is there a thing as to many base coats applied. ? would i have to sand bettween each base coat? like first coat. let dry then sand then second coat let dry then sand then 3rd coat ?? idk how it works.... and how many layers of clear coat and would i sand between each layer applied.??? all the help and input i can get would be great plz hellp anyone. thank you all...

You should reallly do atleast some research.. im usually the guy that yells at everyone for telling others to do research but you really need to do some.
first off you are going to go to the junk yard.. and get a door. Then your are going to lowes or somethign and getting a hvlp spray gun that stands for High Volume Low Pressure that is gravity fed. You are going to then go to youtube.com or google.com and research this and use your door to fuck around with... On the type of color the darker color you use the better you need to be, you are going to see imprefections like orange peel or fish eyes better on dark colors on a white car you wont see much of that.

But if you really wanna do a good job ask matts96hb he painted his car and it looks DAMN FINE!
But before you shoot him a message and be like yo yo yo yo how i do tha shit son?!? Do a little research and present him with specific questions such as after I wet sand what should i do. He is not going to spoon feed you though.

More research of course, but some little tips:

Prep work and masking.. Spend 95% of your time doing prep work, taking everything apart, masking everything very well.. Good paint jobs come from good prep work.

Drain the water from your compressor before you start, of course, and spend the bucks on a good line dryer. Any moisture at all in the compressor will absolutely destroy a paint job.

Do more prep work.

Use flex additive and adhesion promoter for bumpers and plastics.

More prep work.

Wet sand between color and clear coats. Then wet sand again. Get all of the orange peel out, all of the bumps, any drips, etc. you will have plenty being a first time painter.

... more prep.

Talk with your local paint guy! The guys behind the counter at PPG or other paint suppliers are usually incredibly knowlegeable about this stuff.

And more research! google it! Read until your eyeballs bleed. There are thousands of painting guides available. Read several.

Back