Painting my car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

truoss

I don't have a lot of money to pay for a good paint job. I would much rather do it myself than pay for a cheap one. Is the equipment really expensive? What would I need to do a really good job?

Thanks,
truoss

i think what you need is tape, newspapers, gun, compresser, paint, mask, clear coat, primer and sand paper.

oh yeah you gonna need to cover everything you dont want to get colored covered. my garage is blue now....

oh yeah its illegal to do it anywhere outside those special rooms.

And the most important thing, BONDO!!!!

The guy will put you back a good amount if you get a good one with a good size, but don't skimp on gun quality to cut costs!!! Look at paintscratch.com to get paint prices, and the rest of the stuff is not big deal.

On top of all this, you're going to have to learn how to paint, and that will take time, some money, and effort, definitely the hardest part.

go to a community college and take autobody for like 18 bucks a unit. you might even be able to paint your car in their room after you get all your projects done.

Well although im all for DIY jobs painting is really expensive. My paint gun alone is $400, Good paint, sandpaper, and all the other materials is super expensive. I would suggest checking with a tech. school's autobody program and see if they ae willing to take in jobs. The school i went to for auto body did this and just charged for materials.

For me the paintgun, compressor(cheap), tools, and paper came out cheap because I bought off some of my dad's friends. But the paint is somewhat expensive. I just bought a Tangerine Kandy, and a pint of chameleon and it came out to 500 bucks!! I learned to paint from Highschool. I painted my del sol in my driveway and it came out great. I'll post pics later on.

prep,prep,and more prep. make sure everything is grease and oil free. Your entire paint job is based this. Any residue on the body will result in blemishes in the paint. take your time, don't try to rush and get it all done in one weekend. It WIll look like crap if you do.

man if i was you i would wet sand the car really good take out any rust it may have and go to MACCO its like 300 -400 to do the whole car you will send that much on paint and tape so its on you

Back