Painting Prep Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok.. i dont know the proper forum for this question, but this forum looks the best. i need to prepare my car for a paint job. i mean the whole thing needs painted, the black color is extremely faded all around. I need to know what to do exactly before i take it in to get it painted. i know i have to sand it down, but what grit sand paper do i use? and how deep do i need to sand it. like till its gray or what? any help or procedures i should take would be awesome.... :worthy:

If you want it done right then it has to come down to bare metal. After it stripped it has to be throughly cleaned not so much as a finger print then use metal etch to prep the surface then a sealer primer then a sandable primer sand and respary until the sufraces are perfectly smooth and there is no waves in the body make sure to keep everything clean while doing this. Then you will be ready for paint, also the type and color of paint you are going to use affects what kind of sandable primer you should use. If you just want a quick paint job then bring it to Macco and for a couple of hundred you will look decent for a year or two.

Back