Painting Side Skirts, Moldings, Handles

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

liquid00meth

Hey, I was going to have all the skirts/handles/moldings on my car matched white. The bodyshop guy says it will look like crap, because the rest of the car has faded (144k miles on it). Anyone else know of a way to correct this, or if he is just being a tard? I figured I'd just wait till they were painted, and buff the rest of the car to brighten it up. (I'm an auto detailer). But since he seems to think it won't work, what have you guys done?

try polishing your car with a good auto paint polish. it is actually a super fine abrasive that gently renews the surface of your paint (or clearcoat) by removing the very surface of the paint or clear coat. you should wax your car afterwards. try Meguiar's or Blue Coral. Make sure you buy polish, not just wax. it should say in the directions that it is done BEFORE waxing.

there is pretty much no way in hell he could 100% match the color on your car .... if hes REALLY good he might be able to get close but it will still be off

just get the whole car repainted then everything will match

haha yea, that was the whole thing. I can't exactly afford to paint the whole shabang right now :p I wish I had the balls to primer my car... I just don't have it in me. I need the gloss. lol

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@May 9 2003, 07:10 PM
oh come on..its only primer :D

primer ehh? I'm down with that, how do you get all those colors, where do you get it? do you do it yourself from a gun/can? or have someone else do it?

i had green primer on my 97 Civic coupe. basically a colored primer is a flat base paint. you can get the paint at any paint shop (use the industrial grade flat as its less likely to scratch easy). you will have to spray it on with a spray gun BUT you can use cans too if you dont have the equipment. if you would like to see a pic of my 97 coupe to see what it looks like, lemme know and i will post it up.

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@May 9 2003, 08:10 PM
oh come on..its only primer :D

:lol:
dont be skured

I AM AN AUTO BODY TECH AND WITH OUT SEEING IT DONN'T HOLD ME TO IT BUT BUFF IT FIRST TO SEE THE COLOR ITS GOING TO BE AND ALSO HAVE A TEST SPRAY DONE FIRST ON A TEST SHEET MOST BODY SHOPS WILL DO THIS FOR YOU IF THEY KNOW U ARE SERIOUS ESPECIALLY WITH THE SLOW ECONOMY. ALSO DO U HAVE BASE CLEAR OR SINGLE STAGE PAINT. WHEN U WAX YOUR CAR DOES WHITE SHOW UP IF U HAVE BASE CLEAR THE BUFF WON'T BRIGHTEN IT MUCH AND IF YOUR PAINTS GETTING OLD IT WILL FADE BACK IN ABOUT A MONTH AND THATS NO FUN TO KEEP BUFFING SOON YOU'LL BE RIGHT THROUGH THE METAL HA. IF THERE IS NO RUST OR SMALL RUST THEN IT MIGHT BE WORTH A RESHOOT KEEP IT CLEAN AND REMEMBER NO MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE SAY STICKERS ADD 5 RICE POWER THEY ARE THE ONES I LAUGH AND POINT AT

it would look kinda rice-ish but you could use an accent color. nothing too bright but something that isn't supposed to match

Originally posted by junhondasi@May 11 2003, 07:59 PM
I AM AN AUTO BODY TECH AND WITH OUT SEEING IT DONN'T HOLD ME TO IT BUT BUFF IT FIRST TO SEE THE COLOR ITS GOING TO BE AND ALSO HAVE A TEST SPRAY DONE FIRST ON A TEST SHEET MOST BODY SHOPS WILL DO THIS FOR YOU IF THEY KNOW U ARE SERIOUS ESPECIALLY WITH THE SLOW ECONOMY. ALSO DO U HAVE BASE CLEAR OR SINGLE STAGE PAINT. WHEN U WAX YOUR CAR DOES WHITE SHOW UP IF U HAVE BASE CLEAR THE BUFF WON'T BRIGHTEN IT MUCH AND IF YOUR PAINTS GETTING OLD IT WILL FADE BACK IN ABOUT A MONTH AND THATS NO FUN TO KEEP BUFFING SOON YOU'LL BE RIGHT THROUGH THE METAL HA. IF THERE IS NO RUST OR SMALL RUST THEN IT MIGHT BE WORTH A RESHOOT KEEP IT CLEAN AND REMEMBER NO MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE SAY STICKERS ADD 5 RICE POWER THEY ARE THE ONES I LAUGH AND POINT AT

capslock.gif

...moron.

I SURE HOPE I PISSED YOU OFF WITH THE CAP LOCK AND IF YOU THINK I DIDN'T NOTICE YOU ARE THE MORON.
FROM NOW ON I WILL BE USING CAPS LOCKED AT ALL TIMES SO YOU CAN REMEMBER ME AND ILL RACE YOU AT ROAD AMERICA AND KICK YOUR ASS AND OH U PROBABLY DON'T HAVE THE CREDENTIALS TO RUN WITH THE BIG BOYS. NEVER MIND

woah.

I think im just going to wait a while and get a quote on having the whole car repainted. I've been trying to think of a good color the last few days. Maybe an m3 blue or something along those lines? Anyone got a pic of a good color with the respective name of the paint? Unless it's a stock car I can figure out from the paint store. I think pewter is pretty sweet. Any suggestions?

hahah I want to do the yellow/red chromolusion. I think its p1mp. Rice power!

I think it's funny that alot of tech people don't have the greatest online communication skills. it's all good.

just go to a paint store and flip through the automotive paint books. or go to a car dealership of the car with the color you like and go get the paint code in the parts department.

i suggest HOK (House of Kolors) paint..expensive but good stuff. :)

yeah house of color is some good stuff. If you come up to Mn I'll hook u up

Back