1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Palm purchased by...

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by Drake, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member VIP

HP of all companies.

HP buys Palm -- Engadget

Now this could go well, borderline very well or it could end in complete disaster. I have a feeling that HP bought Palm for its portfolio and nothing more. WebOS will probably die a swift and violent death. Its a pretty sad day when one of the original tech giants dies :(

2. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

bye palm :)

3. Drake

Well after listening to the investment call streamed by HP it sounds like HP is taking the buy seriously.

HP: 'We're doubling down on webOS,' Palm: 'That was the whole point' -- Engadget

The idea is to turn Palm into a business unit and use WebOS in a variety of devices. It was stated that they are going to greatly increase Palm's R&D budget along with marketing and leveraging existing partnerships.

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Interesting. Maybe there will be worthwhile products under the Palm name again. I still have my Vx and my m515... sold the III to a friend while still in college. They all served me VERY well.

5. Drake

I love my Pre. Now I have not had any other smart phone to compare it to but true multi-tasking on a pocket able device is pure awesome. So hopefully with HP's bankroll they can light a fire in the development area. From what I hear the Ares SDK is pretty solid but it took them a year and a half to get it rolling. And the expectation these days is that your SDK is out 6 or 9 months before you launch the hardware.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted