"Panda" motors

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sohcslammer

So, this is mostly a question for Calesta seeing as how I think he's the only other one that knows what the fuck I'm talking about.... If anyone else knows feel free to jump right in...

Building a "panda" -

What year pistons am I looking for?
Is it a direct fit?
What rings should I use?
What rods should I use?
Can I leave everything else stock?

I want to run a t4 but I might just start out with the pussy greddy kit... Just doing some homework before I start.... :D

0. PM, don't run user specific posts to the forums
1. Dunno
2. Yes
3. Dunno
4. B16
5. If you want to, but you need to play with bushing sizes for the wrist pins
6. Go search on Honda-Tech, all the info is there... and PM TurboPanda.

I have heard of these "Panda Motors" could one of you guys maybe elaborate on what one of these is, and or the benefits that can be obtained from building one.
Thanks

:werd: :withstupid: if you could also fill me in on wtf a "frankenstein" and a "mini me" is. sorry ima tard. ill go back to head start now.

Originally posted by xyswany@Sep 11 2003, 05:59 PM
:werd: :withstupid: if you could also fill me in on wtf a "frankenstein" and a "mini me" is. sorry ima tard. ill go back to head start now.

A frankenstein is an LS/Vtec, CRvtec, mating a head to a block which it didnt come with and making it vtec. A mini me, correct me if im wrong, is putting a y8 head on a Z6 block, or somethign like that, i am not too sure on that one.

A mini-me is the frankenstein of the D series engines... putting a D series SOHC VTEC head on a non-VTEC D series SOHC block. It takes a lot less work than dropping a VTEC head on a B block.

"It allows any D-series engine to boost 1-1.2 bar safely without sleeving. All that's needed is good fuel management (hondata,etc..) and a blockguard. (and you need to grind the bottom of the D-series block a little in order to give clearance for the B16 rods."-TurboPanda, i got this off of Hondatech. The "grinding" hes talking about is called notching, taking off 3-5mm from the bottom of the block for clearance.

<_< <_< <_< <_< <_<

Like I said, go read. A "Panda" motor is just a D series configuration promoted by TurboPanda on Honda-Tech using older Supra pistons and B16 rods. It's set up for boost, giving a compression ratio in the low 8s, and supposedly will hold about 18-19 psi of boost on an efficient turbo with good tuning. That's all it is. It's not a specific type of engine or anything, there's just a guy on Honda-Tech that sold the pistons/rods as a complete package for a while.

Cal, would you reccomend me going "mini-me"

i.e. taking out the y8 block and using a dx block and my y8 head?

and if not, why?

No, because you'll get basically the exact same setup in the end, especially if you're already in a 96-00 EX and use a D16Y7 block. You'll still have the 1.6L bottom end, and you'll still have your Y8 head. I don't know if the pistons are different between the Y7 and the Y8 (almost sure that they are), but if they are- you would gain only a slight compression ratio increase. That's not worth all the trouble of taking your head off, replacing the block, and putting it all back together again.

Instead of doing all that, just replace your pistons while the block is still in the car, or drop a turbo kit on top. If you opt to replace your pistons to go with higher compression units, unload the head, then drop your oil pan/pickup and all that... pull the pistons out the top, then replace them with ZC units. Hopefully your sleeve is still in good shape so that you can use another set of pistons without resizing /cleaning up the bore... or you can still take the whole block out and send it to a good machine shop with your new pistons. DOHC ZC pistons are good for a SOHC VTEC NA setup- they would bring your compression up to about 12.8:1 on the Y8.

Going turbo would probably be easier (but more expensive) than swapping pistons and replacing your cam later on down the line- you wouldn't have to tear the engine apart as much.

What all do you want to do?

Originally posted by Calesta@Sep 11 2003, 11:27 PM
No, because you'll get basically the exact same setup in the end, especially if you're already in a 96-00 EX and use a D16Y7 block. You'll still have the 1.6L bottom end, and you'll still have your Y8 head. I don't know if the pistons are different between the Y7 and the Y8 (almost sure that they are), but if they are- you would gain only a slight compression ratio increase. That's not worth all the trouble of taking your head off, replacing the block, and putting it all back together again.

Instead of doing all that, just replace your pistons while the block is still in the car, or drop a turbo kit on top. If you opt to replace your pistons to go with higher compression units, unload the head, then drop your oil pan/pickup and all that... pull the pistons out the top, then replace them with ZC units. Hopefully your sleeve is still in good shape so that you can use another set of pistons without resizing /cleaning up the bore... or you can still take the whole block out and send it to a good machine shop with your new pistons. DOHC ZC pistons are good for a SOHC VTEC NA setup- they would bring your compression up to about 12.8:1 on the Y8.

Going turbo would probably be easier (but more expensive) than swapping pistons and replacing your cam later on down the line- you wouldn't have to tear the engine apart as much.

What all do you want to do?

umm i dont know if your post was entirely directed towards me?

but im allready turboed. greddy 15g kit.

could the y8 be stroked out to 1.8L reliably?

Oh, ok- then definitely... dropping a VTEC head on your engine would be beneficial. I forgot that you were already boosted. The VTEC head will allow the D block to breathe much better, and you can even get a turbo profile cam for it too.

I don't know about stroking to 1.8L- the only other OEM crank you could use is the D17, and it would require even shorter rods than the D16 uses... plus it only runs your engine up 77cc (or 78, not sure). The more accepted way of increasing displacement on a D block is by increasing the bore to 78mm, which would bring your displacement to 1720cc. You probably wouldn't want to do that on the stock sleeve though.

RS Machine does sell an 80mm bore D block, but I wouldn't use a block with sleeve walls that thin under boost.

Originally posted by NoJokE+Sep 11 2003, 06:19 PM-->
@Sep 11 2003, 05:59 PM

A frankenstein is an LS/Vtec, CRvtec, mating a head to a block which it didnt come with and making it vtec. A mini me, correct me if im wrong, is putting a y8 head on a Z6 block, or somethign like that, i am not too sure on that one.

A mini me usually refers to taking a SOHC non-vtec engine and putting on a SOHC Vtec head. Or it could also refer to boosting a SOHC motor, something of that nature, usually its called a mini me when u built a SOHC motor.

Back