parking tickets in other states

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MadMaXXX

Mad Man
so, i got a parking ticket, but my vehicle is not registered in that state. to pay or not to pay? that is the question.

how much is it?
what state is it for?
do you EVER plan on driving through that state again? EVER??
are you ok with the idea of having a suspended license in that state? and probably not knowing about it until you get pulled over, and if there isnt someone else in the car that can drive, your shit getting towed, paying impound and towing fees, possibly spending a night in jail waiting for someone to come get you and bail you out, or if you are lucky you get to go to court on the spot for willfully driving without a license (usually a misdemeanor), having to pay about $650 on the spot to get let go (still with a suspended license and unable to drive), having to jump through a few more hoops, paying the parking ticket off, getting your license reinstated, getting proof of payment and reinstatement to the court, then they might be nice enough to lower the charge from a misdemeanor to a simple traffic infraction clearing your record... but you will still be out the $1000 or so so far.....

its really up to you

maybe they will just chalk it up as a loss and you will never hear about it again
maybe they will contact you and you can play stupid ("huh??? i havent been to _____ in almost 5 years... are you sure it was my car/plate???) and they might toss it for you
maybe youll have the above scenario play out for you like it did me???

your call

if it was me... id just pay the stupid ass ticket

Last edited:
its fucking 100$, and no, my license is out of state as well, so it wont be getting suspended. NYC

way to sound the alarm e sol, considering, if i read correctly, that you got away with something similar.

if the ticket was reasonable, sure i would pay it, but fuck 100$, thats just a bit rediculous.

Last edited:
if its an NYC ticket check this site out ParkingTicket.com ::: Fight or Pay your Parking Ticket online!

i have never tried them but i hear them advertised on NYC radio a lot

they have a free evaluation thing... might be worth looking at

and yeah ive had all 3 scenarios happen to me for out of state tickets.... some tickets simply disappear never to be heard of again, some you get a call about and play stupid and they get rid of them, some you never hear about until you are getting pulled over and hauled off to the local courthouse for a nice thorough wallet/bank account fucking

oh yeah... they dont / cant suspend your license in your state... but they can, and usually do, notify your state's DMV and then your state might suspend your license locally (not common)... but they can and do suspend your license in their state... happened to me in NY... happened to my cousin in VA

Last edited:
thanks

i have Florida plates, registration, and license, now. I will probably be changing them all over to Georgia, but will be around NYC again. What i am really wondering is what the ticket sticks to; the car, the plates, or both?

plates usually

but sometimes if they are feeling energetic they will go after the license that the plate is registered under

if you are moving and shuffling around that much i doubt they will find you... but it is still a chance

i forgot to pay a small ticket in CT and they suspended my right to drive in that state.

I have 27 Keene NH tickets, that actually hunted me down. But i have 8+ parking tickets in Chicago, that hasn't been heard from since (2003). I have tickets in Somerset PA too and haven't heard. New Haven CT will send the Gestapo out, and stomp your head in with jackboots. That town is no fucking joke.

Well, I got a speeding ticket in Alabama in 1999. Timed me by airplane on Thanksgiving weekend after a friend's wedding. Like a 150 buck ticket. I was in a rental car and never paid it and haven't heard boo since. Have renewed my license twice since in MI and have had no problems.

if you got away with speeding, then i surely can get away with a measly parking ticket. :) i just looked at the risk vs reward and i think i will go ahead and pull a ninja

I wouldn't pay a NYC parking ticket either, but an FYI is that if(and that's a humungous if) they ever did anything about it they can suspend your license no matter what state you are in. All DMV's are connected via federal data base. I had my license suspended in NJ (for offenses other then driving) and moved to vegas 3-6 months later and could not get my license there either.

I wouldn't pay a NYC parking ticket either, but an FYI is that if(and that's a humungous if) they ever did anything about it they can suspend your license no matter what state you are in. All DMV's are connected via federal data base. I had my license suspended in NJ (for offenses other then driving) and moved to vegas 3-6 months later and could not get my license there either.

I was reading some stuff on another forum and they brought up something about how they can't connect a parking ticket to a particular driver, like when they pull you over. Regardless, as long as i dont get any others,-- i think its 2 for a bench warrant-- i can just pass below the radar.

Back