Part Three...The Siding....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

From what I read in there you're telling me you aren't going to spend the 300 bucks extra for some tyvek house wrap and flashing? I'd reflash, retrim, do all that. That is key for weather proofing. Not necessarily how many layers you have.

It's easy and you could probably at least do the housewrap yourself. Go get a 3/8 inch hammer tacker, and 2-3rolls of housewrap and a buddy and you'd be done in probably a few hours, considering 28 squares is pretty small. I've probably done over 30 in a day by myself using 60 minute(which I think is better than house wrap in some cases, if applied correctly, and is pretty cost efficient.)

EDIT: Bob vila, on your job, at 700/sq what is included? When I bid siding its about 350-400 a sq for clear bandsawn shingles, all with stainless application, and tyveking.

Last edited:
Its reflashing everything, windows, doors, eaves, soffits, rakes, gables with stainless and vinyl siding including plastic trim as a starter course. I'm hoping to get the price down because I really don't want to shell out 15-25k for siding on my house. I could do it for 4k myself, but I really don't have the time. My weekends are short enough...

Yeah. It's not a horrible price, but that's a fortune per sq,l I'd love to charge that, but we're already higher than most bids. Also another thing to make sure they do is always moiststop the top of the flashing and tuck that underneath the housewrap. It's really key to make sure the moisture flows one way, and that's down. Also on flashing, making "box" ends, meaning bending the metal so it covers the corners, and back into the house, so the top of the trim isn't exposed is another trip to creating a good seal and a clean finished look.

hen I worked in construction, we wouldnt allow "overlapping". We ouldnt even bid on that type of job for rotting issues. If that cedar decided to start to deteriorate right where you drove your nail... the moldind could start to separate and then your looking at an additional repair to fix it. Plus more materials you have to buy. IMO... strip it and tyvek (or even use the lowes brand...).

stainless steel my friend. I sided 2 houses alone last summer with bevel and they will not deteriorate for over 25 years. Why do I say 25 years? because my dad did houses 25 years ago and they still haven't started to deteriorate, and that was before stainless steel fasteners. As long as everything is sealed correctly. then the wood should last a very long time.

A general contractor we worked for recently was clearing a pasture on his land when he hit something. Turns out it was some cedar trim he had put out there when he had a surplus 15 years ago. He sure enough digs it up and its still good trim. Wasn't rotted or anything because it had about 3 coats of primer/paint on all ends.

DSC00908.JPG

It's a start......;)

more pics in the HM forum. ^_^

Man those rafter tails are croooooked. lol. But looking good.

hows the weather looking for you. we have snow and sleet today and the big storm this weekend. I know it will delay the work but does it being exposed to the weather affect the job?

it's supposed to start snowing here in about an hour...maybe 10"....and be gone tomorrow...41*

I'm stocking up the cigs, beer, and propane...and I'm not going to work tonight...be chilling in the garage watching...uhm...things.

Back