parts required?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

redmncivic

I have another thread started and learned some useful information from it but i am still full of questions that need to be clarified. My questions:

1) Is it ideal to do the b16a sir2 complete swap from hmotorsonline.com?

2) If i do proceed with this swap, is the only thing that I need for installation the rear engine bracket from a 99 si?

3) For wiring purposes I would need to buy a conversion harness from obd2b to obd1?k

thank you for your time and patience in advance.

Quoted post[/post]]
I have another thread started and learned some useful information from it but i am still full of questions that need to be clarified. My questions:

2) If i do proceed with this swap, is the only thing that I need for installation the rear engine bracket from a 99 si?

3) For wiring purposes I would need to buy a conversion harness from obd2b to obd1?k

We don't know what car it's going into so we can't help you at all.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

sorry, that would be an important part of information too i guess. it will be going into a 99 civic ex with 5spd right now. i figured obd changeover because it shows coming from 92-95 on the website. i am getting confused between the sir2(jdm) and a2(usdm). doesnt it require same parts for both motors to swap into my car?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

sorry, that would be an important part of information too i guess. it will be going into a 99 civic ex with 5spd right now. i figured obd changeover because it shows coming from 92-95 on the website. i am getting confused between the sir2(jdm) and a2(usdm). doesnt it require same parts for both motors to swap into my car?
No sir.
The SiR2 requires different things, i will try to answer your questions now.
1.) It's not 'ideal' to do this swap into a 99, and it is illegal in some states.
Typically (although hmotors is a great source for good engines) the SiR2 is going to have more miles than a b16a2. The obd changeover is going to cost you more money, and same with the mount bracket combination.
The amount of money spent you could just get a complete b16a2 swap and have less hassles and spend less.
2.) You will need the 99-00 Civic Si rear bracket and the 99-00 civic Si timing belt side bracket.
They can be ordered for less than $40 each from the dealer.
You will reuse your EX wiring harness and you will have to rewire it to work with obd1 components.
(Cut/splice connectors,possibly move pins because obd1 distributors have 2 connectors and obd2 have 1 etc)
3.) Getting a conversion harness is an ok idea, because the SiR2 will be missing some sensors that the p2t ecu (99-00 civic Si) will be looking for, but this makes another reason not to do this swap.
Let's see what we're looking at here:
B16A SiR2 complete swap ~ $2500
Rear Mount bracket ~ $40
Timing belt side mount bracket ~ $40
obd1 Distributor ~ $150
obd1 Injectors ~ $100
obd1 Alternator ~ $100-150
Conversion harness and chipped p28 ecu ~ $200
Now, we're up to ~ $3,200 and you haven't started the wiring headaches and pinout diagrams yet.

Complete B16A2 swap ~ $2000-3000
Drop in, plug in your ex harness and the p2t ecu, yay.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

No sir.
The SiR2 requires different things, i will try to answer your questions now.
1.) It's not 'ideal' to do this swap into a 99, and it is illegal in some states.
Typically (although hmotors is a great source for good engines) the SiR2 is going to have more miles than a b16a2. The obd changeover is going to cost you more money, and same with the mount bracket combination.
The amount of money spent you could just get a complete b16a2 swap and have less hassles and spend less.
2.) You will need the 99-00 Civic Si rear bracket and the 99-00 civic Si timing belt side bracket.
They can be ordered for less than $40 each from the dealer.
You will reuse your EX wiring harness and you will have to rewire it to work with obd1 components.
(Cut/splice connectors,possibly move pins because obd1 distributors have 2 connectors and obd2 have 1 etc)
3.) Getting a conversion harness is an ok idea, because the SiR2 will be missing some sensors that the p2t ecu (99-00 civic Si) will be looking for, but this makes another reason not to do this swap.
Let's see what we're looking at here:
B16A SiR2 complete swap ~ $2500
Rear Mount bracket ~ $40
Timing belt side mount bracket ~ $40
obd1 Distributor ~ $150
obd1 Injectors ~ $100
obd1 Alternator ~ $100-150
Conversion harness and chipped p28 ecu ~ $200
Now, we're up to ~ $3,200 and you haven't started the wiring headaches and pinout diagrams yet.

Complete B16A2 swap ~ $2000-3000
Drop in, plug in your ex harness and the p2t ecu, yay.
so for either of these swaps i will need to have both of those mounts that i can order from honda, is this correct? Horsepower is about the same for both engines too? Also, do you know where i could buy the b16a2 engine swap from?

[/quote]
so for either of these swaps i will need to have both of those mounts that i can order from honda, is this correct?
[/quote]

Yes.

[/quote]
Horsepower is about the same for both engines too? Also, do you know where i could buy the b16a2 engine swap from?
[/quote]

I believe the a2 has 10 less hp; but you could make that up by buying parts with the extra $ you saved. Either the dealership(expensive), junkyard, or various sites around the web. Just search the net, im sure you'll have no problem finding sites that have what you're looking for.

Quoted post[/post]]
so for either of these swaps i will need to have both of those mounts that i can order from honda, is this correct? Horsepower is about the same for both engines too? Also, do you know where i could buy the b16a2 engine swap from?
The b16A2 will come with the correct rear mount bracket and timing belt side bracket if they are included with the swap.
B16A SiR2 is rated at 170hp
B16A2 is rated at 160hp
These numbers vary engine to engine....
Call Hmotors and ask them if they have any b16a2 from the 99-00 civics, they probly have some, just maybe not on the site listing. :cool:

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
The b16A2 will come with the correct rear mount bracket and timing belt side bracket if they are included with the swap.
B16A2 is rated at 160hp
Call Hmotors and ask them if they have any b16a2 from the 99-00 civics, they probly have some, just maybe not on the site listing. :cool:
just kind of thinking about this to myself, would it be the same amount of work to put a b18c1(gsr i believe) in as the b16A2?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
B16A2 is rated at 160hp
just kind of thinking about this to myself, would it be the same amount of work to put a b18c1(gsr i believe) in as the b16A2?
Slightly more work, but it isn't hard.
We just put a 99GSR into a 96 Dx, the only thing that sucked was the wiring extension and ecu pin outs.. tedious work.
If you have an Ex it will a lot easier to do and more cost efficient.
You will need the 99-00 Civic Si rear mount bracket and timing belt side bracket.
94+ integra axles
94+ integra shiftlinkage
Use the 99-00 civic Ex harness
(94+ integra radiator hoses)

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
B16A2 is rated at 160hp
We just put a 99GSR into a 96 Dx, the only thing that sucked was the wiring extension and ecu pin outs.. tedious work.
You will need the 99-00 Civic Si rear mount bracket and timing belt side bracket.
94+ integra axles
94+ integra shiftlinkage
where was the motor bought from and it is a usdm spec? is that correct? anyway you could outline the swap for me? Also, maybe a final cost total if available?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
B16A2 is rated at 160hp
94+ integra axles
94+ integra shiftlinkage
where was the motor bought from and it is a usdm spec? is that correct? anyway you could outline the swap for me? Also, maybe a final cost total if available?
He brought the motor to us, we were laborers, so i have no clue where he got it.
It was USDM.
Buy the GSR swap ~ $3000
Buy the Civic Si rear mount bracket ~ $40
Buy the Civic Si timing belt side mount bracket ~ $40
Attach the mount brackets to the engine, sell the GSR mount brackets on ebay.
Plug the Ex harness into the GSR stuff.
Follow the pinout guide for any wiring questions, everything *should* just plug right in to everything else, but follow the diagram for the Immobilizer fix if you use an obd2b GSR ecu.
(https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=34)
Use the included B series axles or buy 94+ integra axles, or any 94+ B Series Axles (93-97 Del Sol Dohc VTEC/99-00 Civic Si)
You MUST use the shiftlinkage from the B Series. (NOT the del sol)
Drop the engine in, plug in the ecu, go fast.
You're looking at $3,100 for the swap to work if it includes all the goodies...
This doesn't include: shipping, oil, water pump, timing belt, other belts, antifreeze, distributor cap, rotor, plugs and wires, fuel filter, fuses, electrical tape, wires, etc... which will be suggested and around the same price for any of the swaps you do.
Basically, add another $300 for this stuff.
If you have to buy the axles, that's another $120-200.
If you want to change your clutch now is the best time, it's up to you, prices range from $100 to $xxxxx depending on what you need/want.
Hmotorsonline.com:
Price: $ 3149.00 Plus shipping and handling.
Availability: In stock and ready to go.
- Motor
- Hydraulic Tranny (S80, Y80)
- ECU (P72)
- Axles with Half Shaft
- Shift Linkage
- Stock Motor Mounts *
- Alternator
- Starter
- Clutch
- Flywheel
- Intake Manifold
- Exhaust Manifold
- Fuel Rail
- Injectors
- Distributor
- Engine Harness
- Comes With All Sensors Needed
- LSD Tranny (Optional +$300)

With their reputation and good customer service, you can't go wrong with Hmotors, if something is wrong, they'll make it right.

Of course this can range a lot less depending on where you get it, this route is looking to be around $4k.

Check locally for some deals in your area, you can probably get everything for less than $3000 if you find the right deals.
Good luck

Quoted post[/post]]
and to do a swap witha b16a wether it is usdm or jdm will be the same process as the gsr swap?
Same mounts and brackets.
The wiring may differ slightly, but you need the b16/GSR to be obd2 or convert your car to obd1.

Back