1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PAssing DEQ in oregon w/ engine swaps

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by khai_tuan_nguyen, Jul 22, 2003.

1. khai_tuan_nguyen

khai_tuan_nguyen Senior Member

Does anyone know what is requried to pass a deq in oregon with engine swaps. I had a 1997 2 dr coupe civic hx. Now i have a B20 vtec with GSR ecu. The car is OBD2. Will the ecu affect my test. I have catalytic converter emission control all that legal stuff, just wondering on the swap and ecu stuff.
    Thanks

2. khai_tuan_nguyen

bump

3. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

not sure what oregon says about head swaps .... but if those are ok then you should be fine.... look in the FAQ there is a topic about passinf CA smog testing with a swap .... if f you can pass in CA you can pass anywhere

4. khai_tuan_nguyen

i looked through the CA smog ref sections. The ones having to do with going to the station and having everything looked at. The question i am trying to ask is having to do with just going to get a regular emissions test. Hook the computer up (OBD2) and pass/fail type of test. SInce my car is registered as 97 civic hx coupe 1.6 L etc etc. will it matter that i am running a 97 GSR ecu and different motor, but i am not puting out illegal emmissions?

Thanks for the reply Esol

5. E_SolSi

if you pass the emissions test then you pass
    if you fail then you fail
    the engine and ECU are of the same OBD rating so you should have no problems as long as everything is tuned well and running right

6. khai_tuan_nguyen

so when they hook it up to the computer will it say 1997 GSR and say that is not the right ECU etc. See i have no problem if it was all just emissions numbers etc. I am running everything legally with all emission parts, but i just wonder if it is legal to do swaps and all that. For example what if i did my car 97 civic (OBD2) conversion to a OBD1 conversion. Then they could not run the computer test, wouldn't that be suspicious or wouldn't i fail.

Thanks

7. E_SolSi

you really need to check your local laws regarding this stuff
    every state has their own bullshit... so what flys here in CT might not be ok out in OR... ya know what im saying? go to your local DMV's website and look around there :shrug:

8. Gen2Teg

Gen2Teg Senior Member

No, it wouldn't say 97 GSR becuase they don't hook anything up to your ECU. I used to work at a used car dealership and i would take cars to get smogged all the time, i know the guy and the whole process. All they test for is emissions. They hook up a sensor to your exhaust, test that, check your idle, gas cap, and some other small shit, i forgot though. I know in california its legal to swap a motor if its at least the same year as your car or higher, and at least the same OBD or higher. Its supposed to be the "equivilent" but I've never heard of anyone with a smog legal car with a swapped motor having problems with a referee. Once the ref checks your car and says its OK, he puts a metal stamp on the engine bay so when dick head cops pull you over and pop your hood you don't get a fix it ticket.

9. Gen2Teg

Gen2Teg Senior Member

oh yeah BTW im from cali so you should be fine in oregon. I'd pay for a pre test first though, its like $15. Its better than having a smog check done and then having you car labeled as a gross polluter for life.

10. khai_tuan_nguyen

I will definitely get a test smog first. They only hook the computer to your exhaust if it is not OBD2, if not they hook it up to your computer on the drivers side. What i am asking is when the hook it to the computer will it say a GSR since that is the ECU running the computer. I have not got it referenced at all, i just want to get it regularly smogged checked. I am not a slacker either. I just did a swap and have almost 2 years before i need deq.. lol

11. Gen2Teg

Gen2Teg Senior Member

well maybe they hook it up to your ECU in oregon but im like 98% sure that they don't over here. Its too much of a hassle, I don't see why they would do it. Have to dig under the carpet or wherever it is and do whatever they do. I don't see why.
    someone correct me if im wrong though

12. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

on obdII cars in cali, yes they do hook it up. it will not tell them what car the ecu came from. when i got my swap ref'd in cali i had an obdII.b motor (99 si) in a 96 dx obdII.a using a 98 civic EX ecu.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted