1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

passing emissions

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by Sideburns2141, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Sideburns2141

Sideburns2141 Junior Member

I have a 1997 Honda Civic DX. I want to put a B16A2 engine in it. The problem is, I've figured out that my car is OBD2, and if you put an OBD1 engine in it, it won't pass emissions tests. I need to pass this test with my car. My question is, if I get a 92-95 B16 engine with an OBD1 ECU, but then go out and buy an OBD2 ECU and switch them, will this be emissions legal? If this will work, does anyone have any good websites that sell ECUs at reasonable prices? I could really use some help on this one.

2. 96CIVICLS

96CIVICLS Senior Member

I thought that the b16a2 was Obd2a 99 civic si not sure but if the motor is obd1 there is a way to convert it to obd2 and make the obd2 ecu work with it. just have to get misc parts to convert the motor.

Steve-0

3. Sideburns2141

It might be a B16A i'd have to look again but i'm positive it's OBD1. So by switching the engine to OBD2 it'll pass the emissions tests for my car?

4. divisii

divisii Member

A2 was found on US 93-95 DelSol .. so it's obd1. If you already have the motor you can use a conversion .. Hondas run pretty clean, so even though your DX is ULEV, you might slide by. Pennsylvania aint more strict than California.
    Technically interchanging parts from a previous year is illegal.

A3 was found on US 00-01 Civic SI .. it's obd2.

5. Sideburns2141

Thanks for the reply divisii that helped a lot.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted