passing emissions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sideburns2141

I have a 1997 Honda Civic DX. I want to put a B16A2 engine in it. The problem is, I've figured out that my car is OBD2, and if you put an OBD1 engine in it, it won't pass emissions tests. I need to pass this test with my car. My question is, if I get a 92-95 B16 engine with an OBD1 ECU, but then go out and buy an OBD2 ECU and switch them, will this be emissions legal? If this will work, does anyone have any good websites that sell ECUs at reasonable prices? I could really use some help on this one.

I thought that the b16a2 was Obd2a 99 civic si not sure but if the motor is obd1 there is a way to convert it to obd2 and make the obd2 ecu work with it. just have to get misc parts to convert the motor.

Steve-0

It might be a B16A i'd have to look again but i'm positive it's OBD1. So by switching the engine to OBD2 it'll pass the emissions tests for my car?

A2 was found on US 93-95 DelSol .. so it's obd1. If you already have the motor you can use a conversion .. Hondas run pretty clean, so even though your DX is ULEV, you might slide by. Pennsylvania aint more strict than California.
Technically interchanging parts from a previous year is illegal.

A3 was found on US 00-01 Civic SI .. it's obd2.

Back