passion...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

oh no fox jews who tried their damndest to keep it from being made will release the dvd... lol throw money in the mix beleifs go out the window...

:wtf:

Mel owns the rights... he's the only one that can release it... unless he changes his mind, don't look for it your video store any time soon.

Originally posted by mattcalica@Mar 8 2004, 05:24 AM
went to see it tonight. I used to be a real hard-core christian, but 3 years ago, I got really mad at god, and since, i have named myself basically agnostic. This movie inspired me, and overall, you just see the pain jesus went through...at times i found myself looking away, not because of the gore, but rather the pain and betrayal in his eyes (the actor did a dynamic job). I will admit i cried a little, and no, i aint a cryer. Overall, if you believe in god or not, see the movie.

I pray you got recommited to JESUS :D

Originally posted by ahedau@Mar 9 2004, 09:35 PM
oh no fox jews who tried their damndest to keep it from being made will release the dvd... lol throw money in the mix beleifs go out the window...

:wtf:

Mel owns the rights... he's the only one that can release it... unless he changes his mind, don't look for it your video store any time soon.

i heard that it's already on the internet

:rant:

hey okay i can respect him for making this movie as he's free to do what he wants... but so am i.. and i don't like the fact that this movie was made... it's sad when we need to rely on such a graphic, gory movie of something that was once held sacred to "recruit" (in my local paper today, a catholic priest was quoted actually saying that word regarding getting people to come to church) people back into christianity; it's sad when we need something like this to remind us of why we're here

granted i'm not a perfect christian or anything either but damn, it's almost sick

/rant

...unless he changes his mind...

I think you meant "OWNT" but I could be wrong...

And FOX may release it, not Mel.

I don't like the fact that this movie was made...to "recruit"...people back into christianity

I've NEVER heard or read Mel say that's why he made it. If that's your problem with the movie then your problem rests with someone other than the creator of the film.

I have yet to see it but Friday I have plans to. I'm kind of a religion nerd. I'm not a Christian, but I do think it’s pretty rad this movie was made. And not to "recruit" people into churches, but because I’ve yet to see a movie that depicts the pain Jesus faced accurately. Or so I’m told anyway. I guess Friday we'll see.

Also if you look at it as a purely fictional story, it's still going to be entertaining.

pwnt is killing it. stick with pwn3d. DOn't pay attention to the critics just watch it for yourselves and then make up your own mind.

Originally posted by ahedau@Mar 10 2004, 08:19 PM
...unless he changes his mind...

I think you meant "OWNT" but I could be wrong...

And FOX may release it, not Mel.

I don't like the fact that this movie was made...to "recruit"...people back into christianity

I've NEVER heard or read Mel say that's why he made it. If that's your problem with the movie then your problem rests with someone other than the creator of the film.

i didnt say that mel gibson said that. i said a catholic priest said it. :p

Originally posted by mattcalica@Mar 8 2004, 05:24 AM
went to see it tonight. I used to be a real hard-core christian, but 3 years ago, I got really mad at god, and since, i have named myself basically agnostic. This movie inspired me, and overall, you just see the pain jesus went through...at times i found myself looking away, not because of the gore, but rather the pain and betrayal in his eyes (the actor did a dynamic job). I will admit i cried a little, and no, i aint a cryer. Overall, if you believe in god or not, see the movie.

It just amazes me how naive you Christians are about this movie. PLEASE... it's only a movie. And what do all movies do? They entertain, they are NOT reality, they manipulate your emotions. An excellent example and extreme example of that are horrow movies. You KNOW that the premise of Friday the 13th is impossible, but you all go to see those movies to jump in in your seats and scream away. Another good example is any war movie or any movie with John Wayne in it. Communists and the American Indians are depicted as the bad guys.

The Passion is only Mel Gibson's version of the crucifixion, it may be considered a historical drama... it is not the same as raw news footage. The Passion makes good use of makeup, camera angles and actors. The Passion is NOT REALITY and it is presented to you very very subjectively. It is twisted to the pro-Christian agenda.

yea this movie is crazy good. it realy puts a picture with wut u read in the bible. its great to realy finaly put a picture wit wut he went threw for you. he did all that suffering for you. i love it how Mel. brought out Mother Marry so much in the movie. it realy shows how much of a compasionite woman she realy is. :worthy: id def. recomend seeing it if you have any doubts. dont lissin to the critics they dont know ne thing...
Tyler

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal+Mar 11 2004, 12:15 PM-->
mattcalica
@Mar 8 2004, 05:24 AM
went to see it tonight.  I used to be a real hard-core christian, but 3 years ago, I got really mad at god, and since, i have named myself basically agnostic.  This movie inspired me, and overall, you just see the pain jesus went through...at times i found myself looking away, not because of the gore, but rather the pain and betrayal in his eyes (the actor did a dynamic job).  I will admit i cried a little, and no, i aint a cryer.  Overall, if you believe in god or not, see the movie.

It just amazes me how naive you Christians are about this movie. PLEASE... it's only a movie. And what do all movies do? They entertain, they are NOT reality, they manipulate your emotions. An excellent example and extreme example of that are horrow movies. You KNOW that the premise of Friday the 13th is impossible, but you all go to see those movies to jump in in your seats and scream away. Another good example is any war movie or any movie with John Wayne in it. Communists and the American Indians are depicted as the bad guys.

The Passion is only Mel Gibson's version of the crucifixion, it may be considered a historical drama... it is not the same as raw news footage. The Passion makes good use of makeup, camera angles and actors. The Passion is NOT REALITY and it is presented to you very very subjectively. It is twisted to the pro-Christian agenda.

just for the sake of debate...

for some, it's just a movie. for others, it's a way of life.

i mean, it's like "schindler's list", it was just a movie, but it was about the holocaust, which really happened. try telling someone who lived through the holocaust (or had a family member killed in the holocaust) that it was "just a movie". according to some people, the events depicted in "the passion.." really happened, whereas others don't believe they ever occured. it's all a matter of opinion, based on reality (or not, you get the picture).

religion hits close to home, religion hits hard, no matter what form it's in. i don't think these people are being naive or arrogant. a movie was made about something that some of them hold real close to their hearts, what's wrong with getting heated about that?

the "friday the 13th" movies aren't even COMPARABLE to "the passion of the christ". totally unrelated.

and of course there's no "raw news footage" the what's filmed in "the passion". those events occured more than 2000 years ago.

sorry if that didn't make sense i'm at work and trying not to fall asleep. :)

Originally posted by complicity+Mar 11 2004, 02:55 PM-->
the "friday the 13th" movies aren't even COMPARABLE to "the passion of the christ". totally unrelated.
My point is... The Passion is only a MOVIE. Every scene was carefully crafted and edited for maximum effect. I understand why Christians are so moved after watching it, but it's still only a movie. Christians are only taking it on its surface value. It is not reality as so many are taking it to be...

Also, there have been many current studies on the inaccuracy of eye witness accounts of crimes. People get the license plate, the car and even the race of the suspect wrong. So even if the movie's script is following the bible, it is still based on the hearsay of his followers... again, they are biased accounts and written to promote Christianity.

Obviously crucifixion was a horrible punishment. But mankind as a whole has been torturing and punishing their enemies horribly for thousands of years. What of the tortured US prisoners in the Vietnam War? Was their suffering any less intense? Do a search and read up about what the Japanese did to their prisoners of war in WWII.

Another movie example... watch Dustin Hoffman in The Marathon Man as he sits in the dentists chair and gets drilled without novicaine. That scene gets audiences squirming in their seats every time. Was that intentionally set up to be uncomfortable to watch? Yes.

What about any movie with the Mafia in it? How about Good Fellas? Or the Godfather series? What happened to Jesus was about average for a session of good old fashion cruelty to your fellow man that supports the opposite agenda. If anything, Jesus' pain was very short-lived compared to what most prisoners of war went through in WWII and Vietnam.

Everyone ought to read up on some real history. And this is why I don't support war without really solid justification... and the US in Iraq just doesn't cut it for me.

complicity
@Mar 11 2004, 02:55 PM

and of course there's no "raw news footage" the what's filmed in "the passion". those events occured more than 2000 years ago.

Of course not. I only mentioned it because so many Christians are raving about The Passion's authenticity. There is absolutely no way for anyone to create real footage after the fact.

Everyone ought to read up on some real history.

are you saying Christ's crucifixion is not real history? now that's arrogant...

It is twisted to the pro-Christian agenda
my favorite quote of yours by far... A movie about Jesus Christ is pro-Christian? You're kidding me!!

Because we choose to believe something different than you doesn't mean that we are wrong, less intelligent or in any way inferior to you.

This is a MOVIE for God's sake!! We all know that. However, it was not made for entertainment... that's what The Return of the King was made for. Nor was it was made to be a documentary. However, it was made, like a lot of other movies like Schindler's List, to provoke the audience to think. To remind them of REAL history and what one man endured.

What happened to Jesus was about average for a session of good old fashion cruelty to your fellow man that supports the opposite agenda
that statement is so full of ignorance I don't know where to begin...death by crucifixion after being beaten so badly that you're not regonizable as a human is not "average" geesh!

Yes, man's inhumanity to man is well documented throughout recorded history. This movie and this debate is about ONE man's passion to willingly subject himself to that cruelty because of his unconditional love for all of mankind, even atheist.

This movie, using actors and editing and camera angles and shock and gore is for the purpose of giving what people MUCH more educated that you are I agree is a historically accurate depiction of the event.

Should they be taken as exact, of course not. Anyone foolish enough to think so and to go so far as to say so is not thinking rationally. However, you cannot so easily discount the entire event as hogwash simply because you are not a "believer". That too is irrational.

Originally posted by ahedau+Mar 12 2004, 01:07 AM-->
...death by crucifixion after being beaten so badly that you're not regonizable as a human is not "average" geesh!
Jesus beaten beyond recognition is how Mel happened to present it. How can you be so certain that he was beaten this badly? I agree more about his arm being pulled out of his socket in order to nail in that last hand. But all the whipping in the movie doesn't impress me.

ahedau
@Mar 12 2004, 01:07 AM
This movie and this debate is about ONE man's passion to willingly subject himself to that cruelty because of his unconditional love for all of mankind, even atheist.

But what about all of OUR US soldiers in history that willingly sacrificed themselves to fight WWI, WWII and all of the other conflicts? Even our Civil War was horrendous and lengthy in its pain and suffering. So again, Jesus's pain was not unique in his willingness to suffer. There have also been other religious martyrs throughout history and not only Christians. Pacifist buddish monks setting themselves on fire, etc...

Our American soldiers' "passion" is just as significant and actually more impressive to me.

As to my "arrogance", I find many Christians arrogant and also irrational in their beliefs... :roll:

OK uh Jesus was not even an enemy or a prisoner of war. It's nice you're against the war but what in the hell does that have to do with the movie. If you want to rant about the war in Iraq start or continue another post please.
The only way of knowing real history is to be there for yourself, because I'm sure you know that even "real" history is biased to some extent. I'm sure the Japanese version of WWII is a lot different than the American version.
Just because you don't feel the way others do about a movie doesn't mean that they are naive.

More on Christian and religious arrogance... just mind your own business and don't include me in all of that soul-saving plans. Every religion thinks that theirs is the best one. I want none of that contradictory bullshit in my life. I live my life as a good person with integrity. I don't need some bible or koran to keep me being a decent person. Don't try to convert me. I really am so tired of missionary type people throwing their pamphlets in my face. What a fucking waste of paper... and trees. So don't bring up arrogance with me. :angry:

I live my life as a good person with integrity

and what is your standard for being a "good person with integrity"?? Does it have any resemblance to 10 precepts brought down a mountain? hmmmmmmmmmmm :ph34r:

But what about all of OUR US soldiers in history that willingly sacrificed themselves to fight WWI, WWII and all of the other conflicts
again, you are notputing a lot of thought in your post. I challenge you to find any recruit in basic training in ANY countries fighting forces that signed up solely and with the full knowledge that he would one day jump on a granade and save a few of his compatriots.

So don't bring up arrogance with me.
I didn't bring it up...you did. To think that your idea about religion is the correct way above all others is just as arrogant. Nay, I'd say hypocritical.

don't include me in all of that soul-saving plans
I assume that wasn't directed at me...I certainly haven't tried to bring you over from the Dark Side :) .. Your will is your way.. Unless you come asking questions, I'm not gonna preach to you..

However, I will gladly debate FACTS with you and call you out when you post something that I feel needs a rebutal.

Back